Michael J. Janosov, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Security, and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Mr. Janosov was born in Roswell, N.M., and raised in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He joined the Air Force as a Security Policeman in 1978 and entered Air Force Office of Special Investigations as an enlisted agent in 1982, becoming a civilian agent in 1989. He has more than 29 years of experience with AFOSI, working in a variety of assignments of increasing levels of responsibility. During his extensive career he developed skills in a wide array of investigative areas to include arson, narcotics, fraud and counterintelligence. Mr. Janosov deployed to Iraq as the Deputy Director for the Strategic Counterintelligence Directorate in Baghdad. He was later detailed as the Deputy Director for Operations and Support, Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive. In 2007, he was selected as the Director of Counterintelligence for AFOSI, and in August of that year became Deputy Director for the OSI Regional Office at Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
Prior to his appointment to the Senior Executive Service, Mr. Janosov was the Director of AFOSI’s Office of Special Projects, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C. He was responsible for operational control over 12 geographically separated units providing specialized investigative, counterintelligence and program security management support for Air Force Special Access Programs. In this capacity, Mr. Janosov concurrently served as the Security Director to the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisitions. He then became Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, and provided oversight to the AFOSI Special Investigations Career Program, and was responsible for executive-level policy management and liaison for criminal, terrorist, and espionage threats to Air Force and Department of Defense personnel and resources, and also served as the Air Force’s focal point for coordination with domestic and international law enforcement organizations.
1990 Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice, Troy State University, Ala.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Masters of Business Administration degree, Webster University
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
1. 1978 - 1982, Security Policeman, 321st Security Police Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
2. 1982 - 1986, Special Agent, AFOSI Detachment 704, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. 1986 - 1991, Counterintelligence Case Officer, AFOSI District 69, Ankara, Turkey
4. 1991 - 1997, Special Agent, AFOSI Detachment 109, Media, Pa.
5. 1997 - 1998, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. 1998 - 2001, Assistant Special Agent in charge, AFOSI Detachment 110, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
7. 2001 - 2002, Program Manager, Counterintelligence Offense Operations, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. 2002 - 2003, Director of Operations, Counterintelligence Field Activity,Crystal City, Va.
9. 2003 - 2005, Special Agent in Charge, AFOSI Detachment 102, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
10. 2003 - 2004, Student, Center for Excellence in Government Fellows Program, Washington, D.C.
11. 2004 - 2005, Deputy Director, Strategic Counterintelligence Directorate, Baghdad, Iraq (Deployed)
12. 2005 - 2007, Deputy Director for Operations and Support, Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive, Crystal City, Va.
13. 2007 - 2007, Director of Counterintelligence, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. 2007 - 2008, Deputy Director, AFOSI Region 5, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
15. 2008 - 2010, Director, Office of Special Projects, Bolling AFB, D.C.
16. 2010 - 2012, Executive Director, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Andrews AFB, Md.
17. 2012 - 2014, Deputy Director, Security, and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. 2014 - present, Director, Security and Special Program Oversight, Office of the Administrative Assistant, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
AF Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Civilian Exemplary Service Award
Department of Defense Exemplary Recognition
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Joint Civilian Service Commendation Award
Col. John Landsdale Award for CI Professional, National Military Intelligence Association
(Current as of April 2014)