Brian P. Burns, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy Director, Warfighter Systems Integration, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for leading initiatives to provide an integrated, capability-focused enterprise, with the goal of serving the warfighter's needs and eliminating the information seams that divide capabilities.
Mr. Burns entered federal civil service in 1997 as member of the Senior Executive Service with more than 13 years of commercial information management, technology and product development experience. He served in several information management, technology and cyberspace executive positions within the Department of the Navy; Department of Education; Department of the Interior; Department of Health and Human Services; and the Department of Treasury Internal Revenue Service.
Mr. Burns has been an active member and leader in the Federal CIO community in areas of information assurance security, Web 2.0, cloud computing security, Internet Protocol version 6, infrastructure optimization and strategic planning. While on rotational assignment detail at the Department of the Navy, Mr. Burns investigated net-centric and information-centric information access anywhere for Navy and Marine Corps warfighters; the use of Web 2.0; and "green" IT energy efficiency and stewardship. He represented the DON at the Department of Defense Enterprise Guidance Board, and collaborated with DOD counterparts on secure use of internet-based capabilities, Federal Information Security Management Act security metrics, standard email and directory services. Mr. Burns has provided agency executive and technical leadership, direction, advice and oversight for identification of short- and long- term IT agency goals; IT strategic planning and policy development and execution; IT workforce planning; IT capital planning and investment control business investment; information assurance security and privacy; enterprise architecture; program management; system life cycle and project management; web/application development; and enterprise infrastructure operations, protection, optimization and construction.
1985 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical and computer engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pa.
1992 Master of Arts degree in psychology for human factors engineering, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
1. July 1984 - September 1993, IBM Corporation, Bethesda, Md.
2. September 1993 - June 1995, BDM Federal, Incorporated, Germantown, Md.
3. June 1995 - August 1997, Coleman Research Corporation, Germantown, Md.
4. August 1997 - August 1999, Director, Architecture, Engineering and Infrastructure Division; Director, Telecommunications and Operations Division; Project Director, Telecommunications, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Department of Treasury, Lanham, Md.
5. August 1999 - June 2002, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Information Resources Management and Deputy Chief Information Officer, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C.
6. June 2002 - June 2006, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Information Resources Management/Chief Information Officer, Office of the Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs; Chief Technology Officer - Infrastructure, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.
7. September 2006 - June 2010, Deputy Chief Information Officer; Senior Adviser for Project Management, Department of Education, Washington, D.C. (August 2008 - February 2010, rotational assignment detail as the Deputy Chief Information Officer for Emerging Technology, Chief Information Officer, Department of the Navy, Washington, D.C.)
8. June 2010 - present, Deputy Director, Warfighter Systems Integration, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
IBM Cost Effectiveness Award
IBM Quality Improvement Award
IBM Special Appreciation Award
IBM Enterprise Alliance Founders Award
IBM Information Integration Consulting Formal Award
BDM Federal Star Award
BDM Federal Excellence Award
Department of Health and Human Services Secretary's Award for Distinguished Service
Technology Leadership Certificate
Federal CIO Council Showcase of Excellence Award
2005 Federal Computer Week Fed 100 Award
Department of Education Individual Award
E-Gov Technology Leadership Award
Department of the Navy Individual Award
(Current as of September 2010)