Mr. Francis Machina, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Chief Financial Officer for U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He also serves as the Deputy Director, Special Operations Financial Management. He is responsible for special operations budget and execution issues totaling more than $10 billion annually. His office provides fiscal direction and guidance to the four USSOCOM component commands and a sub-unified command, and regularly interfaces with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, military services and Congressional staffs.
Mr. Machina entered the Army in 1982 after graduating as a distinguished military graduate from St. Bonaventure University and commissioned as a finance officer. He was selected for the Army Comptrollership Program at Syracuse University and received the James Neuman award for academic excellence. Mr. Machina's career included regular assignments between conventional and special operations resource management positions. His 14 years of special operations support included senior-level assignments at Joint Special Operations Command and U.S. Special Operations Command. He also commanded the largest finance battalion in Europe, the 106th Finance Battalion in Wuerzburg, Germany, and deployed with the unit to Kosovo. He completed a 26-year Army career, retiring at the rank of colonel in August 2008.
Mr. Machina was a Program Manager in the Resource Management Innovations Directorate at CACI, Inc., until he entered federal service in August 2010. He is a Certified Defense Financial Manger, former chairman of the American Society of Military Comptrollers Professional Development Institute, and two-time former president of the Tampa Bay Chapter of ASMC.
1982 Bachelor of Arts degree in accounting, St. Bonaventure University, Olean, N.Y.
1990 Master of Business Administration degree (comptrollership), Syracuse University, N.Y.
1995 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1. June 1982 - June 1995, various finance, comptroller and educational assignments
2. June 1995 - June 1997, executive officer, 33rd Finance Battalion, 18th Soldier Support Group, Fort Drum, N.Y.
3. June 1997 - June 2000, Chief, Special Programs Division and Chief, Operation and Maintenance Division, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill, AFB, Fla.
4. June 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 106th Finance Battalion, 266th Finance Command, Wuerzburg, Germany
5. June 2002 - June 2005, Director, Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment Directorate (J8), Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
6. June 2005 - August 2008, Deputy Director, Center for Force Structure, Requirements, Resources and Strategic Assessments, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
7. August 2008 - August 2010, Program Manager, Resource Management Innovations, CACI, Inc., Chantilly, Va.
8. August 2010 - present, Deputy Chief Financial Officer, Center for Financial Management, USSOCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Army Superior Unit Award
Army Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
2000 Certified Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of October 2010)