Robert K. Boyles, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Contracting, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He is a senior adviser on procurement and acquisition related matters. Mr. Boyles establishes contracting policy, procedures and processes; provides training and workforce development for more than 700 contracting professionals; and provides contracting authority for more than $11 billion in annual obligations for bomber, tanker, fighter, trainer, engines, test equipment, airlift, special mission aircraft, spares, modifications, overhaul, base support and contractor logistics support.
Mr. Boyles is a 1982 graduate of San Jose State University, receiving his Air Force commission the same year. He is a career contracting officer with assignments spanning the range of Air Force and Department of Defense acquisition, including systems, logistics and contract administration. Mr. Boyles performed staff and executive officer duties at Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, and he has commanded four times. He held multiple positions as a warranted contracting officer and has served as the Deputy Mission Support Group Commander, 15th Airlift Wing.
In January 2006, Mr. Boyles deployed to Iraq as Principal Assistant Responsible for Contracting-Forces, Joint Contracting Command-Iraq/Afghanistan, overseeing all contracting support for U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. His final Air Force assignment was as Commander of the 66th Mission Support Group, Hanscom AFB, Mass. He subsequently retired in the grade of colonel. Before entering civil service, Mr. Boyles was Director of Utah operations for a national small business corporation. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Boyles was Director of Contracting for the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center.
1982 Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, San Jose State University, Calif.
1988 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Master of Science degree in Procurement and Acquisition Management, Northrop University, Los Angeles, Calif.
1995 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air War College, by correspondence
1. November 1982 - April 1983, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. May 1983 - November 1983, student, undergraduate pilot training, Mather AFB, Calif.
3. December 1983 - June1987, Manufacturing Manager and contract negotiator, Simulator System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. July 1987 - June 1991, administrative contracting officer and Branch Chief, Defence Plant Representative Office - Northrop, Hawthorne, Calif.
5. July 1991 - July 1994, Logistics Career Broadening Program, Tinker AFB, Okla.
6. August 1994 - May 1995, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1995 - May 1996, Commander, Defense Contract Management Command, Seoul, South Korea
8. June 1996 - July 1997, Commander, Defense Contract Management Command Kimhae, Pusan, South Korea
9. August 1997 - May 1998, staff officer, Contracting Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 1998 - June 1999, executive officer, Contracting Directorate, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. July 1999 - April 2000, Chief, Contracts Division, B-1 SPO, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. May 2000 - May 2002, Commander, 15th Contracting Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
13. June 2002 - June 2004, Deputy Commander, 15th Mission Support Group, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
14. July 2004 - January 2006, Deputy Director of Contracting, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
15. January 2006 - July 2006, Principal Assistant Responsible for Contracting-Forces, Iraq and Afghanistan
16. July 2006 - September 2008, Commander, 66th Mission Support Group, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
17. December 2008 - October 2010, Director of Utah Operations, Sumaria Systems, Inc., Utah
18. December 2010 - July 2012, Director of Contracting, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
19. July 2012 - present, Director of Contracting, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
National Contract Management Association
Contracting, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Program Management, Level III, APDP
Acquisition Logistics, Level I, APDP
Financial Management, Level I, APDP
(Current as of January 2013)