Mr. Jerry L. "Indy" Gandy is the Director, Mission Assessment and Analysis Directorate, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. The directorate conducts the command's operational and strategic mission assessments. It also provides a collaborative environment that brings together public and private sector experts to develop innovative solutions to key challenges across the full spectrum of the command's assigned mission areas.
Mr. Gandy was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1984 following graduation from the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg. He is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In 2003, he deployed to Saudi Arabia where he commanded more than 900 Airmen who are credited with constructing a "bare base" in 17 days and met 100 percent of air tasking orders, amassing 571 F-15 sorties and 2,405 C-130 sorties. Mr. Gandy flew more than 2,500 flight hours in F-4 and F-15 aircraft, including 229 combat flight hours.
Mr. Gandy has served as Chief of Safety, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va., and executive assistant to the Deputy Commander, U.S. Joint Forces Command. He has commanded an operations support squadron, expeditionary operations group, and the U.S. Army Europe Warrior Preparation Center in Germany. Prior to his current assignment, Mr. Gandy was Commander of the 95th Air Base Wing and the Installation Commander of Edwards AFB, Calif.
1984 Distinguished graduate, Bachelor of Science degree in economics, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg
1988 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Master of Science degree in business administration, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
1996 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Science degree in airpower art and science, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air War College, by correspondence
2004 Distinguished graduate, Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1984 - August 1985, student, undergraduate navigator training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. August 1985 - April 1986, student, F-4 Replacement Training Unit, 21st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, George AFB, Calif.
3. April 1986 - August 1988, F-4 weapon systems officer, programmer and assistant Chief, Weapons Flight, 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Terre Haute, Ind.
4. November 1988 - November 1989, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
5. August 1990 - March 1992, F-15 pilot, flight lead, programmer and assistant Chief, Weapons Flight, 9th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. March 1992 - August 1995, F-15 pilot, instructor pilot, standardization and evaluation flight examiner, flight commander, and Chief, Wing Multi-stage Improvement Program, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
7. August 1995 - June 1996, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 1996 - June 1997, student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 1997 - May 1998, Chief, Long-range Strategy Branch, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
10. June 1998 - August 1999, Deputy Chief, Commander's Action Group, Headquarters USAFE, Ramstein AB, Germany (March 1999 - June 1999, Air Force member for Supreme Allied Commander Europe Assessment Team (Allied Force), Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Mons, Belgium)
11. December 1999 - November 2000, assistant operations officer, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va. (August 2000 - November 2000, Chief of Combat Plans, Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey)
12. November 2000 - December 2001, Chief of Safety, 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, Va.
13. December 2001 - July 2003, Commander, 1st Operations Support Squadron, Langley AFB, Va. (February 2003 - April 2003, Deputy Commander and Commander, 485th Expeditionary Operations Group, Saudi Arabia)
14. August 2003 - July 2004, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2004 - June 2006, Vice Commander and Commander, U.S. Army Europe Command Warrior Preparation Center, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. June 2006 - May 2008, executive assistant to the Deputy Commander, U.S. Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
17. May 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 95th Air Base Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
18. August 2010 - present, Director, Mission Assessment Analysis Directorate (J9), U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Action Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Kosovo Campaign Medal
NATO Medal with oak leaf cluster
Kuwait Liberation Medal
Distinguished graduate, undergraduate navigator training
Top graduate/distinguished graduate, F-4 RTU
Top graduate/distinguished graduate, UPT
Top graduate/distinguished graduate, F-15 Flying Training Unit
Distinguished Chief of Safety and Air Combat Command Top Fighter Wing Chief of Safety, 9th Air Force
(Current as of January 2011)