Brig. Gen. Donald J. Bacon is the Director of ISR Strategy, Plans, Doctrine and Force Development at the AF/A2, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon. He is responsible for the force development of over 25,000 ISR Total Force Airmen; the integration of ISR planning with the intelligence community, Joint Staff and Air Force major commands; and the formulation of ISR vision, policy and strategy.
General Bacon entered the Air Force in 1985 through Officer Training School at Lackland AFB, Texas. He served in numerous operational and staff assignments at base level, numbered Air Force and Headquarters U.S. Air Force. His assignments include command of 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Nebraska, and the 435th Air Base Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany; Chief of Special Operations and Intelligence Information, Multi-National Force, Iraq; Commander, 55th Electronic Combat Group at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona; and Executive Officer to the Chief of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He also commanded an EC-130H squadron at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, and an expeditionary squadron in Qatar during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
General Bacon is a flight evaluator, instructor and master navigator, with more than 1,700 flying hours.
1979 American International Student Program, Aberdeen University, Scotland
1984 Bachelor of arts in political science and minor in history, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
1984 Internship with Congressman Edward Madigan, Washington, D.C.
1986 Officer Intelligence School (Distinguished Graduate), Lowry AFB, Colo.
1989 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1991 Navigator/Electronic Warfare School (Distinguished Graduate), Mather AFB, Calif.
1995 Masters degree in management, University of Phoenix, Ariz.
1998 Air Command and Staff College (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air War College Seminar (Excellent Graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2006 Seminar XXI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Washington, D.C.
2009 Leadership Development Program, Eckerd College Leadership Development Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
2009 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
1. May 1985 - October 1985, student, Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 1985 - May 1986, student, Officer Intelligence School, 3470th Training Squadron, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. May 1986 - February 1989, command, control and communications intel analyst and chief, Offensive Missile Analysis Team, 544th Intelligence Analysis Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. February 1989 - February 1990, CINCSAC intel briefer, Strategic Air Command Headquarters, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. February 1990 - August 1990, indications and warning officer, 13th Air Force Headquarters, Clark Air Base, Philippines
6. August 1990 - February 1991, squadron intel officer, 3d Tactical Fighter Squadron, Clark Air Base, Philippines
7. February 1991 - April 1992, student, Navigator and Electronic Warfare Schools, Mather AFB,Calif.
8. April 1992 - July 1994, EC-130H/COMPASS CALL mission crew commander and flight commander, 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
9. July 1994 - February 1996, executive officer, 355th Operations Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. February 1996 - August 1997, assistant director of operations and chief of standardization and evaluation, 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. August 1997 - June 1998, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 1998 - June 2000, chief, electronic warfare officer training, 45th Reconnaissance Squadron and chief of wing protocol, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
13. June 2000 - June 2001, operations officer, 355th Operations Support Squadron and 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
14. June 2001 - March 2002, executive officer to the commander, 12th Air Force, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
15. March 2002 - July 2003, commander, 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
16. August 2003 - June 2004, student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2004 - April 2006, chief, space and enterprises integration division, Headquarters Air Force, and executive officer to Chief of Warfighting Integration
and Chief Information Officer, Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. April 2006 - May 2007, commander, 55th Electronic Combat Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
19. May 2007 - June 2008, chief, Special Operations and Intelligence Information, Multi-National Force, Iraq
20. July 2008 - June 2009, commander, 435th Air Base Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
21. June 2009 - March 2011, deputy commander, Third Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
22. March 2011 – July 2012, commander, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
23. July 2012- present, Director of ISR Strategy, Plans, Doctrine and Force Development, AF/A2, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon
Rating: Evaluator/instructor/master navigator (EWO)
Flight hours: More than 1,700 in the EC-130H, RC-135 S/V/W and Navy E-6
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with fourth oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 1985
First Lieutenant August 1987
Captain August 1989
Major June 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 2000
Colonel July 2005
Brigadier General May 2011
(Current as of May 2014)