Dr. Barbara J. Sotirin, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director, Strategy, Policy, Programs and Logistics, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. She is responsible for the identification, evaluation, and integration of defense transportation policies, concepts and procedures. This includes evaluation of all modes of strategic mobility systems, infrastructure, long-range programs, future requirements, and priorities for impact on the Defense Transportation System.
Dr. Sotirin began her career in 1977 with General Dynamics in San Diego working on system test and validation requirements for the Tomahawk cruise missile. In 1980 she joined the Naval Ocean Systems Center where she served as a research engineer in applied acoustics. After receiving her doctoral degree from the University of California, San Diego, she returned to the Navy as a senior research engineer specializing in Arctic experimentation and array systems. She was then assigned as a staff specialist in the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology and Logistics) Naval Warfare, providing program oversight for a variety of acquisition programs.
Dr. Sotirin was selected as an Army SES in 1998 and served as a Laboratory Director for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; Director for Research and Lab Management at Headquarters U.S. Army; and Deputy Director of Research and Development at Corps of Engineers Headquarters where she led the Chief of Engineers strategic initiative on stability operations as a special assignment. Prior to her current assignment, she was Deputy Director for Partnerships, Strategy, Strategic Plans and Policy on the Joint Staff. Dr. Sotirin was appointed to the Air Force Senior Executive Service in 2011.
1980 Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree, San Diego State University, Calif.
1988 Master of Electrical Engineering degree, University of California, San Diego
1989 Doctorate of Electrical Engineering (applied ocean science), University of California, San Diego
1. 1980 - 1985, research engineer, Applied Acoustics, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, Calif.
2. 1985 - 1989, research assistant and post-doctoral candidate, University of California, San Diego
3. 1989 - 1996, senior research engineer, Directorate of Engineering, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, San Diego, Calif.
4. 1996 - 1998, staff specialist, Naval Warfare Office, Office of the Secretary of Defense Acquisition and Technology, Washington, D.C.
5. 1998 - 2002, Director, Engineer Research Development Center, Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, San Diego, Calif.
6. 2002 - 2004, Director for Research and Lab Management, Directorate of Research and Technology, Office of Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, Washington, D.C.
7. 2004 - 2009, Deputy Director, Directorate of Research and Development, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, D.C
8. 2009 - 2011, Deputy Director, Partnership, Strategy, Strategic Plans and Policy (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C
9. 2011 - present, Deputy Director, Strategy, Policy, Programs and Logistics, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1979 EXCEL Award for Job Excellence, General Dynamic - Convair
1984 Woman Engineer of the Year Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
1991 Exemplary Achievement Award, Naval Ocean Systems Center
1993 Recognition of Superior Service Award, Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command
1996 Meritorious Civilian Service Award, Naval Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance Center
1998 Award for Excellence, Office of the Secretary of Defense
2003 Defense Science and Technology Letter of Recognition
2008 Personal Letter of Recognition, Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
2009 Certificate of Appreciation, CENTCOM Commander
2009 Meritorious Civilian Service Award, Department of Army
2011 Joint Meritorious Civilian Service Award, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Fellow, Acoustical Society of America
Academy of Political Science
International Peace Science Society
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
American Association for the Advancement of Science
(Current as of May 2011)