Lt. Gen. Warren D. Berry is Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. General Berry is responsible to the Chief of Staff for leadership, management and integration of Air Force logistics readiness, aircraft, munitions and missile maintenance, civil engineering and security forces, as well as setting policy and preparing budget estimates that reflect enhancements to productivity, combat readiness and quality of life for Air Force people.
General Berry earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Notre Dame and was commissioned a second lieutenant through the ROTC program as a distinguished graduate in 1987. He entered active duty in January 1988 as an acquisition officer at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, before cross training into aircraft maintenance in 1992. He commanded the 435th Mission Support Group at Ramstein Air Base, Germany, and the 78th Air Base Wing at Robins AFB, Georgia. He served on the Joint Staff’s Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, and was the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection for both the U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa and Headquarters Air Mobility Command.
Prior to his current assignment, the general was the Deputy Commander, Air Force Materiel Command.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Ind. 1994 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Science degree in Aviation Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Masters degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 National Security Studies Program, The Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2009 Senior Executive Fellows Program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. January 1988 - August 1991, Program Manager, TR-1 Ground Communications System, and later
Executive Officer, Electronic Combat and Reconnaissance System Program Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. September 1991 - June 1992, Program Manager, Acquisition Program Tracking System, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. June 1992 - November 1992, student, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course, Chanute AFB, Ill.
4. November 1992 – March 1994, command post controller/emergency actions officer and special assistant for quality improvement, 23rd Wing, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. March 1994 - February 1995, sortie generation flight commander, 2nd Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. February 1995 - December 1995, squadron maintenance officer, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
7. January 1996 - July 1997, flight commander and operations officer, 33rd Student Squadron, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. August 1997 - June 1998, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 1998 - June 2000, Commander, 86th Logistics Support Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. June 2000 - July 2001, Commander, 86th Maintenance Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. July 2001 - June 2002, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2002 - June 2003, Chief, Logistics Studies and Analysis, Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2003 - July 2004, Logistics Panel Chairman, Director of Resources, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
14. July 2004 - April 2006, Commander, 435th Mission Support Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
15. April 2006 - January 2008, Vice Commander, 78th Air Base Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
16. January 2008 - July 2009, Commander, 78th Air Base Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
17. July 2009 - November 2011, Assistant Deputy Director, Politico-Military Affairs, Western Hemisphere, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. November 2011 - September 2013, Director of Logistics, Installations and Mission Support,
Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
19. September 2013 - August 2015, Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
20. August 2015 – August 2018, Vice Commander, then Deputy Commander, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
21. August 2018 – present, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2009 - November 2011, Assistant Deputy Director, Politico-Military Affairs, Western Hemisphere, Joint
Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel and brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
1994 Secretary of the Air Force Leadership Award
2000 Air Force Maintenance Effectiveness Award
2001 Gen. Thomas P. Gerrity Award
2004 Gen. Curtis LeMay Trophy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 16, 1987
First Lieutenant Sept. 15, 1989
Captain Sept. 15, 1991
Major Aug. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel Aug. 1, 2004
Brigadier General May 2, 2011
Major General Aug. 2, 2014
Lieutenant General Aug. 17, 2018
(Current as of August 2018)