Dr. Darrell F. Zimbelman, a member of the Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service, is Director, Electro-Optical Imagery Satellite Systems, National Reconnaissance Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Space, Chantilly, Va. He provides executive direction in the planning, coordination and management of a broad and complex range of satellite systems and programs in accordance with higher level program directives, diverse operational and legislative requirements.
Dr. Zimbelman began his career in the private sector working first for the Fairchild Space & Defense Corporation and then for ITHACO Space Systems Incorporated. In 1994, he began his civil service career with NASA working on several scientific missions including TOPEX/Poseidon, the Fast Auroral SnapshoT Explorer, the Transition Region And Coronal Explorer, and the Hubble Space Telescope Servicing Missions 3A and 3B. In 2002, he was assigned as the Deputy Project Manager for the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite N Series weather satellite program. In 2004, he joined the National Reconnaissance Office and was selected to lead and deliver a critical acquisition in record time to maintain continuity in support of military operations and national security needs. During his career he has acquired significant experience in program management, large-scale system acquisition and spacecraft design and development, relevant to both civil and national security space programs. He has authored or co-authored 23 articles in professional journals and conference publications.
1986 Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder
1987 Masters of Science in aerospace engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder
1990 Doctor of Philosophy in aerospace engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder
1. January 1989 - July 1991, aerospace engineer, Fairchild Space & Defense Corporation, Germantown, Md.
2. July 1991 - October 1994, aerospace engineer, ITHACO Space Systems Incorporated, Greenbelt, Md.
3. October 1994 - November 2004, aerospace engineer, NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
4. November 2004 - May 2011, technical intelligence officer, National Reconnaissance Office, CIA, Chantilly, VA.
5. May 2011 - present, Director, Electro-Optical Imagery Satellite Systems, National Reconnaissance Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Space, Chantilly, VA.
AWARDS AND HONORS
NRO Director's Circle Award
NASA Silver Snoopy Award
NASA Space flight Awareness Honoree Award
NASA Special Act Award
NASA Center of Excellence Award
NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal
NASA Astronaut Candidate Finalist
NASA Graduate School Researchers Program Fellowship
US Patent 5,211,360
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
(Current as of June 2011)