Brig. Gen. Robert P. Givens is Inspector General, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. He leads more than 160 experts responsible for conducting more than 60 inspections annually. By spearheading both a rigorous inspection schedule and an open-complaint resolution process, General Givens ensures combat readiness, regulatory compliance, and complaint oversight for more than 225 active and gained units and more than 130,000 Airmen.
General Givens graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy, and was commissioned in 1986. He has completed a variety of operational assignments in both the F-16 and A-10, is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School and flew as the Right Wing for the USAF Thunderbirds.
He is a command pilot with more than 3,700 flying hours in the F-16 and A/O A-10. The general has more than 100 career combat sorties in operations Desert Storm, Southern Watch and Iraqi Freedom, and was twice decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism in action in Iraq. His commands include the 35th Fighter Squadron, the 56th Operations Group and the 8th Fighter Wing.
General Givens' previous joint assignments include the Director of the Air Land Sea Application Center, Special Assistant to the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations U.S. Forces Korea and Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia
1986 Bachelor of Science in History, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Outstanding Graduate, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 Master of Public Administration, Troy State University, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 Distinguished Graduate, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2006 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C.
2007 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2008 National Security Management Course, Maxwell School, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2009 Senior Executive Fellowship, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. August 1986 - July 1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2.September 1987 - November 1987, Lead-in Fighter Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. December 1987 - April 1988, A-10 Pilot Training, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1988 - March 1989, A-10 Pilot/Life Support Liaison Officer, Suwon AB, Republic of Korea
5. April 1989 - October 1992, Wing Electronic Combat Pilot, Myrtle Beach AFB, S.C.
6. November 1992 - September 1996, Chief, Weapons and Tactics/Flight Commander and Assistant Operations Officer, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. November 1996 - December 1999, USAF Thunderbirds Right Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. January 1999 - July 1999, Assistant Operations Officer, Air Warrior, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. August 1999 - June 2000, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2000 - June 2001, Student, School of Advanced Airpower Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2001 - May 2002, Wing Safety, 27th Fighter Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
12. May 2002 - June 2003, Operations Officer, 524th Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
13. June 2003 - June 2004, Commander, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
14. June 2004 - June 2005, Student National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
15. June 2005 - May 2007, Director, Air Land Sea Application (ALSA) Center, Langley AFB, Va.
16. June 2007 - July 2008, Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
17. July 2008 - September 2009, Special Assistant to the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Va.
18. September 2009 - May 2010, Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
19. May 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations, U.S. Forces Korea, U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, Republic of Korea
20. July 2011 - August 2011, Special Assistant to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
21. September 2011 - January 2012, Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia
22. March 2012 - present, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2005 - May 2007, Director, Air Land Sea Application Center, Langley AFB, Va., as a colonel.
2. July 2008 - September 2009, Special Assistant to Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Va., as a colonel.
3. May 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff, Operations, United States Forces Korea, United States Army Garrison Yongsan, Republic of Korea, as a colonel.
4. September 2011 - January 2012, Director, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia, as a brigadier general.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700
Aircraft flown: F-16A/C, A/OA-10, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28,1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major Feb. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel May 1 2001
Colonel March 1, 2006
Brigadier General Sept.1, 2011
(Current as of May 2012)