John W. "Bill" Snodgrass, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He serves as the senior civilian official in the force development, management and sustainment of the command's nearly 80,000 military and civilian professionals. These individuals are located throughout the U.S. and overseas in research facilities, test sites, universities and at product development, logistics and specialized centers. Mr Snodgrass works with AFMC senior leadership to shape a dynamic workforce to deliver war-winning expeditionary capabilities and provides oversight, direction and control for all force support activities within AFMC.
Mr. Snodgrass received his commission through the University of Tennessee ROTC program in 1983. In a 28-year military career, he held command and staff positions in various major commands, Headquarters Air Force and deployments. Mr. Snodgrass entered the Senior Executive Service in February 2011 following retirement from active duty as a colonel.
Prior to assuming his current position, Mr. Snodgrass served as the Executive Director, Air Force Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. He assumed his current position in October 2016.
1983 Bachelor's degree in journalism, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1987 Master's degree in speech communication, University of Northern Colorado, Greely
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Influence and Negotiation Strategies Program, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Calif.
2012 Air Force Senior Leadership Course, Washington, D.C.
2013 APEX Department of Defense Senior Executive Service Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2017 Department of Defense Vanguard Senior Executive Development Program, Arlington, Va.
2017 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, VA
1. February 1984 - July 1987, Manpower Management Officer and Support Requirements Manpower Manager, Directorate of Manpower and Organization, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. August 1987 - August 1990, Chief, Manpower and Organization, Det. 11, 7200th Management Engineering Squadron, Commander Det 11, 7200th Management Engineering Squadron and Senior Manpower Advisor, Headquarters Seventeenth Air Force, Sembach Air Base, Germany
3. September 1990 - June 1993, Commander, Det 4, 7200th Management Engineering Squadron and Chief, Wing Manpower Office, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg AB, Germany
4. July 1993 - July 1996, Tanker Manpower Programs Manager and Chief, Programs Section, Directorate of Plans, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. August 1996 - June 1997, student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1997 - June 1998, Director, Manpower and Quality Staff Course, Ira C. Eaker College for Professional Development, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1998 - July 2001, Senior Program Manager, Competitive Sourcing Division, Directorate of Manpower and Organization and Executive Officer to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Plans and Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. July 2001 - June 2004, Commander, 4th Mission Support Squadron and Deputy Commander, 4th Mission Support Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. July 2004 - June 2006, Chief, Manpower Requirements Branch and Chief, Manpower Programs and Organization Branch, Directorate of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. July 2006 - February 2011, Chief, Strategic Sourcing Division, and Chief, Programs Development Division, Manpower, Organization and Resources Directorate, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. February 2011 - March 2014, Deputy Director of Manpower, Organization and Resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. March 2014 - September 2016, Executive Director, Air Force Personnel Center, JB San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
13. October 2016 – present, Director, Manpower Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
Exceptional Civilian Service
Meritorious Civilian Service
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of June 2018)