Mr. David Merker, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Systems Development Director at the Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. AFTAC operates and maintains the U.S. Atomic Energy Detection System to monitor foreign compliance with multiple treaties limiting weapon(s) of mass destruction development, testing and proliferation.
Mr. Merker is the enterprise portfolio manager for all AFTAC technical capabilities to include collection, production, advancement, analysis and prompt reporting of nuclear explosions and other events of interest for WMD proliferation monitoring. He directs strategy, acquisition, testing and deployment of mission capabilities with an annual operating budget of over $200 million per year. He is responsible for a global network of seismic, hydroacoustic, infrasound and materials sampling systems deployed to every continent and ocean as well as an extensive space-based sensor network, 13 analytical forensic laboratories, two maritime vessels and two WC-135 Constant Phoenix aircraft. Mr. Merker also oversees the center's support of the U.N.’s Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty as the Director of the U.S. National Data Center and maintains the U.S.’s nuclear analysis and evaluation contract efforts with the International Atomic Energy Agency in their monitoring responsibilities of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty.
Mr. Merker entered the United States Air Force in 1981 as a graduate of the Norwich University ROTC program and served as a commissioned officer until 2003. His military contributions span intelligence, acquisition and operations. In addition, he held a number of staff, laboratory management and an overseas command position while assigned to the Air Force Technical Applications Center. After his retirement from the military, he transitioned to civil service as the Deputy Director for Technology of AFTAC’s Materials Technology Directorate. Mr. Merker was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in September 2011.
1981 Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, Norwich University, Vt.
1985 Master of Science, Systems Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1987 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Senior Managers in Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2012 Air Force Senior Executive Warfighter Perspective Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 APEX, Senior Executive Orientation Program
1. November 1981 – May 1984, E-4B Program Manager, Detachment 9, Air Force Contract Management Division, Seattle
2. June 1984 – August 1985, Graduate Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright- Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
3. September 1985 – September 1987, U-2/SR-71 Systems Program Manager, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. October 1987 – December 1988, Executive Officer, Reconnaissance and Electronic Warfare Systems Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. December 1988 – August 1990, Chief, Special Activities Branch, Plans and Program Directorate, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
6. September 1990 – November 1992, Chief, Laboratory Management Branch, Materials Technology Directorate, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
7. December 1992 – May 1994, Chief, Plans and Programs, Materials Technology Directorate, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
8. June 1994 – August 1996, Commander, Detachment 313, AFTAC, Sonseca, Spain
9. September 1996 – May 2000, Deputy Director for Operations, Materials Technology Directorate, Patrick AFB, Fla.
10. June 2000 – May 2003, Executive Director, Central MASINT Technology Coordination Office, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2003 – August 2011, Deputy Director for Technology, Materials Technology Directorate, Patrick AFB, Fla.
12. September 2011 – March 2018, Director, Nuclear Treaty Monitoring, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
13. April 2018 – present, Director, Systems Development, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
SES Presidential Rank Award (Meritorious Executive)
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Level III – Acquisition Certification (APDP):
Program Management Level III – Acquisition Certification (APDP)
System Planning R&D Engineering Director of National Intelligence (DNI)
IC Joint Duty Certification
(Current as of August 2019)