Lt. Gen. Giovanni K. Tuck is the Director for Logistics, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. As the J4, he integrates logistics planning and execution in support of global operations and assists the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in fulfilling his responsibilities as the principal military advisor to the President and Secretary of Defense.
General Tuck graduated from Southwest Texas State University in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science degree. He is a command pilot with more than 4,800 flying hours and has served in numerous supervisory and leadership positions to include the Commander of the 905th Air Refueling Squadron at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota; Commander of the 15th Airlift Wing at Hickam AFB, Hawaii; Commander of the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia, Commander of the Defense Logistics Agency, Energy, and the Commander of 18th Air Force. Lieutenant General Tuck has deployed supporting operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to his current assignment, General Tuck was the Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Illinois.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos 1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 Master of Arts, International Relations, Webster University, St. Louis
2000 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I. 2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2007 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 National Security Studies Program, The Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2011 Senior Executive Fellowship, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. June 1987 - June 1988, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. July 1988 - May 1992, C-141B Instructor Aircraft Commander, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. May 1992 - August 1994, C-21A Flight Examiner Aircraft Commander, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. August 1994 - June 1996, CJCS Exercise and Contingency Director, Tanker Airlift Control Center and Regional Plans Officer, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters AMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. June 1996 - July 1999, KC-10 Instructor Aircraft Commander and Executive Officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
6. August 1999 - July 2000, Student, Naval War College, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
7. July 2000 - August 2003, Joint Mobility Operations Officer, Executive Officer, and Aide-de-Camp, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. August 2003 - July 2005, Commander, 905th Air Refueling Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
9. July 2005 - July 2006, Division Chief, AMC Senior Leader Management Office, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. July 2006 - June 2007, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2007 - June 2008, Vice Commander, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
12. June 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 15th Airlift Wing, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
13. June 2010 - June 2011, Executive Officer to the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2011 - June 2012, Commander, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
15. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency, Energy, Fort Belvoir, Va.
16. June 2014 - May 2015, Director of Operations and Readiness, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. May 2015 – May 2017, Director, Operations and Plans, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
18. June 2017 – July 2018, Commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
19. August 2018 – present, Director for Logistics (J4), Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2000 - August 2003, Joint Mobility Operations Officer, Executive Officer, and Aide-de-Camp, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency, Energy, Fort Belvoir, Va., as a brigadier general
3. May 2015 - May 2017, Director, Operations and Plans, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., as a major general
4. August 2018 - present, Director for Logistics (J4), Joint Staff, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant general
Rating: Command pilot Flight hours: 4,800
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, B-1B, C-141B, C-17A, C-21A, E-8C, KC-10A, KC-135R/T, RC-135V/W, UH-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device Air Force Organizational Excellence Award Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars Kuwaiti Liberation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1987
First Lieutenant May 27, 1989
Captain May 27, 1991
Major March 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Jan. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Nov. 18, 2011
Major General July 24, 2015
Lieutenant General May 31, 2017
(Current as of August 2018)