Steven C. Miley, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Contracting, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He guides contracting policy for 13 acquisition Directorates at three Operating Locations, ensures workforce development for more than 2,000 contracting professionals and manages a support and contract execution staff of more than 200. Mr. Miley guides more than $31 billion in annual obligations for 10 Program Executive Officers and 2 Direct Report Divisions. He is also responsible for more than 550 Air Force, joint and allied warfighting programs valued at more than $196 billion in active contracts. These programs include F-22 and F-16 fighter aircraft; C-17 and C-5 cargo aircraft; KC-46 tanker aircraft, B-1 and B-2 bomber aircraft; and Predator, Global Hawk and Reaper remotely piloted aircraft.
Mr. Miley began his contracting career in 1988 at Wright-Patterson AFB. In 1992, he graduated from the Air Force's "Copper Cap" intern program and transferred to NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C., where he served as a Contracting Officer and Procurement Analyst, and served as a Contract Negotiator on the NASA-Russian Space Agency contract for space hardware and U.S. Astronaut flights aboard the Russian MIR space station. He was reassigned to the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas, in 1995, where he served as a Contracting Officer and Business Team Leader in the International Space Station Program Office. In 1998, he returned to NASA Headquarters as Director of the Sponsored Research Business Activity in the Office of Procurement. He served various assignments at NASA Headquarters in the Space Operations Mission Directorate, Office of the Administrator, and the Office of Infrastructure Management.
Mr. Miley was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2006 as the Director of the Strategic Capabilities Assets Division at NASA Headquarters, where he supervised NASA's key technical capability portfolios including Supercomputing, Aeronautics Test Program, Rocket Propulsion Test, Space Environmental Testing and Development, and Flight Simulation capabilities. He was reassigned to the NASA George C. Marshall Space Flight Center in October 2007 as Associate Director for Operations, Engineering Directorate. Mr. Miley received his commission as an Air Force officer at the University of Louisville Air Force ROTC in 1986. He retired in 2008 as a lieutenant colonel, having served 21 years in the Air Force Reserves in positions at DLA Defense Supply Center-Columbus, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, and at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1983 Bachelor's degree, Campbellsville University, Campbellsville, Ky.
1986 Master of Arts degree and Air Force ROTC Commission, University of Louisville, Southern Seminary, Louisville, Ky.
1992 Master's degree in business administration, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1999 Squadron Officer School, Correspondence course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Leadership for Senior Executives, Harvard University, San Francisco, Calif.
1. May 1988 - May 1992, Contract Specialist, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. May 1992 - April 1995, Procurement Analyst and Contracting Officer, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
3. April 1995 - July 1998, Contracting Officer and Team Leader, Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas
4. July 1998 - December 2001, Procurement Analyst and Manager, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
5. December 2001 - April 2003, Executive Officer, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
6. April 2003 - March 2005, Portfolio Business Manager, NASA Headquarters, Washington D.C.
7. March 2005 - March 2006, Assistant Associate Administrator for Institutional Management, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
8. March 2006 - October 2007, Director of Strategic Capabilities Division, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
9. October 2007 - December 2011, Associate Director for Operations, Engineering Directorate, George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
10. December 2011 - July 2012, Director of Contracting, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. July 2012 - present, Director of Contracting, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND HONORS
NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal
NASA Exceptional Service Medal
NASA HQ Exceptional Performance Award
NASA Acquisition Improvement Award
Superior Performance Award
Defense Logistics Agency Joint Commendation Medal
International Space Station Award of Merit
NASA Superior Accomplishment Awards
NASA HQ Exceptional Performance Award
NASA Space Flight Awareness Honoree Award
Air Force Letter of Commendation
(Current as of December 2012)