Maj. Gen. John C. Flournoy Jr. is the Deputy Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is responsible for the daily operations of the command, consisting of approximately 70,000 Reserve Airmen and more than 300 aircraft among three numbered Air Forces, 34 flying wings, 10 flying groups, a space wing, a cyber wing and an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance wing. The Air Force Reserve Command supports the Air Force mission to defend the United States through control and exploitation of air, space and cyberspace by supporting global engagement. AFRC plays an integral role in the day-to-day Air Force.
Maj. Gen. Flournoy entered the Air Force in 1986 as a graduate of the ROTC at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. While on active duty, he served as a B-52 Stratofortress Pilot and T-37 Tweet Instructor Pilot. He joined the Air Force Reserve in 1991 as an HH-60G Pave Hawk Helicopter Pilot and became an Air Reserve technician in 1994. Maj. Gen. Flournoy’s command tours include command of the 440th Operations Group, Milwaukee Air Reserve Station, Wisconsin; the 386th Expeditionary Operations Group in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility; the 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Illinois; the 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, California; the Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley AFB, Colorado; and Fourth Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, California.
Maj. Gen. Flournoy has served as a staff officer for headquarters U.S. Air Force and headquarters Twenty-Second Air Force. Prior to his current position, Maj. Gen. Flournoy served as Chief of Staff, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Illinois.
1986 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2003 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2003 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2010 National Security Management Course, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2010 Air Force Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2011 Joint Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2012 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2012 Leadership Decision Making Course, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2017 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- October 1986-September 1987, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
- September 1987-March 1988, B-52 Pilot Training, Castle AFB, Calif.
- March 1988-October 1989, B-52 Pilot, 325th Bombardment Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
- October 1989-September 1991, T-37 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 96th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
- September 1991-January 1993, HH-60 Pilot, Chief, Aircrew Life Support, 301st Rescue Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
- January 1993-July 1999, HH-60 Pilot, Chief, Aircrew Training, Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, and Assistant Operations Officer, Operations Officer, 301st Rescue Squadron, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- July 1999-August 2000, Chief, Rescue, Special Operations Forces, Bomber, Security Forces, Personal Reliability Program and Counterdrug Operations and Requirements, Air Force Reserve, headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
- August 2000-August 2002, Chief, Reserve Studies and Programs, Air Force Reserve, headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
- August 2002-July 2003, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
- July 2003-October 2003, Special Assistant to the Operations Group Commander, 440th Operations Group, General Mitchell International Airport Air Reserve Station, Wis.
- October 2003-August 2006, Commander, 440th Operations Group, General Mitchell International Airport ARS, Wis. (March 2004-July 2004, Operations Group Commander, 386th Expeditionary Operations Group, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia)
- Aug 2006-January 2008, Director, Intelligence, Air, Space and Information Operations, headquarters Twenty-Second Air Force, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
- January 2008-November 2009, Commander, 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
- November 2009-January 2013, Commander 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
- January 2013-November 2013, Commander Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- November 2013-February 2017, Commander, 4th Air Force, March ARB, Calif.
- February 2017-June 2019, Chief of Staff, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill
- Jun 2019-present, Deputy Commander, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. March 2004-July 2004, Operations Group Commander, 386th Expeditionary Operations Group, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia, as a lieutenant colonel
Military rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,600
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, B-52G/H, UH-1, HH-60G, C-130H, C-40C and KC-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 20, 1986
First Lieutenant Aug. 12, 1988
Captain Aug. 12, 1990
Major Aug. 12, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 13, 2001
Colonel Feb. 17, 2005
Brigadier General Feb. 17, 2012
Major General March 26, 2015
(Current as of November 2019)