Maj. Gen. Kathryn J. Johnson is the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. She is responsible for organizing, training and equipping the command's in-garrison and expeditionary Agile Combat Support, which supports more than 70,000 Airmen and consists of more than 350 aircraft, assigned to three numbered air forces, 33 wings, three flying groups and one space wing. The command has assets at nine primary and 61 tenant locations with a $6.4 billion average plant replacement value and a $220 million annual operating budget. Air Force Reserve Command supports the Air Force mission to defend the U.S. through control and exploitation of air, space and cyberspace by supporting global engagement.
General Johnson gained her commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy, where she graduated in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Management. She holds a master’s degree in Strategic Studies from the Air War College at Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, and a master’s degree in Military Studies from the American Public University in Manassas, Virginia.
1983 Bachelor of Science in Management, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1987 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 Master’s Degree, Military Studies, American Public University, Manassas, Va.
2005 Air War College, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Darden School for Executive Leadership, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2012 Senior Leader Nuclear Management Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2015 Reserve Component National Security Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2017 Air Force Combat Ammunitions Senior Officer Orientation Course, Beale AFB, Calif.
1. June 1983 – April 1987, Operations Support Branch Chief, 14th Supply Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. May 1987 – February 1989, Material Storage and Distribution and Materiel Management Branch Chief, 833rd Supply Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. February 1990 – May 1990, Combat Operations Support Branch Chief, 4557th Supply Squadron, Keflavik Naval Air Station, Iceland
4. May 1990 – August 1990, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, Keflavik NAS, Iceland
5. August 1990 – February 1992, Combat Operations Support Branch Chief, 4557th Supply Squadron, Keflavik NAS, Iceland
6. February 1992 – September 1992, Chief, Fighter Spares Support, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
7. September 1992 – September 1993 Executive Officer to the Air Combat Command Chief of Supply, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
8. September 1993 – October 1994, Chief Fighter Spares Support, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
9. October 1994 – February 2000, break in service
10. February 2000 – June 2001, Supply and Transportation Flight Commander, 944th Logistics Support Squadron, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. June 2001 – June 2002, Maintenance Operations Officer, 908th Logistics Group, 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2002 – January 2003, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 433rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. January 2003 – May 2003, Deputy Commander, 514th Maintenance Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
14. May 2003 – May 2005, Commander, 514th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, (C-141) McGuire AFB, N.J.
15. May 2005 – September 2005, Commander, 305th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, (C-17) McGuire AFB, N.J.
16. September 2005 – June 2007, Commander, 514th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, (C-17) McGuire AFB, N.J.
17. June 2007 – June 2008, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
18. June 2008 – December 2008, Senior IMA to the Director of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. December 2008 – December 2009, Commander, 187th Maintenance Group, Dannelly Field, Montgomery, Ala.
20. December 2009 – August 2010, Director of Logistics, 22nd Air Force (A4), Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
21. August 2010 – February 2011, Commander, 440th Maintenance Group, Pope AFB, N.C.
22. March 2011 – February 2012, Associate Director of Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
23. February 2012 – March 2012, Special Assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations, and Mission Support; serving in the Resource Integration Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
24. April 2012 – May 2014, Director of System Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
25. May 2014 – August 2016, Director of Logistics, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
26. August 2016 – present, Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins, AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hour glass device
Air Force Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
Alabama Distinguished Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1983
First Lieutenant June 1, 1985
Captain June 1, 1987
Major Oct. 25, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel Sept.30, 2004
Colonel Aug. 1, 2008
Brigadier General July 1, 2012
Major General June 27, 2015
(Current as of October 2018)