Lt. Gen. Mark D. Kelly is the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. In support of the Chief of Staff and Secretary of the Air Force, he leads the development and implementation of policy directly supporting global operations, force management, weather, training and readiness across air, space and cyber fields. As the Air Force Operations Deputy to the Joint Chief of Staff, General Kelly determines operational requirements, capabilities and training required to support national security, defense and military objectives.
General Kelly entered the Air Force in 1986, receiving his commission from the Air Force ROTC program at Southwest Texas State University. He earned his pilot wings at Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. General Kelly has commanded a fighter squadron, two fighter wings, an expeditionary wing and two numbered Air Forces.
General Kelly is a command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours, including over 800 combat hours in fighter aircraft.
1986 Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2001 Master of Military Arts and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science in National Security Studies, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Harvard Kennedy School of Executive Education, Leadership Decision Making Seminar
1. April 1986 - May 1987, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. June 1987 - July 1991, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Executive Officer and Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. August 1991 - April 1992, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, 461st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 1992 - July 1995, F-15E Instructor Pilot and Weapons Officer, 90th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. August 1995 - January 1998, F-15E Instructor Pilot and Weapons Officer, 492d Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
6. February 1998 - June 2000, Assistant Director of Operations, 2nd Operational Conversion Unit, Royal Australian Air Force F/A-18 Fighter Weapons School, RAAF Williamtown, New South Wales, Australia
7. July 2000 - June 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2001 - September 2002, Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, 4th Operations Support Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. October 2002 - March 2004, Director of Operations, 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
10. April 2004 - May 2006, Commander, 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
11. August 2006 - June 2007, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2007 - September 2008, Vice Commander, 366th Fighter Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, with duties as Vice Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
13. September 2008 - April 2010, Commander, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
14. April 2010 - April 2011, Executive Officer, Deputy Commander, US Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
15. April 2011 - July 2012, Chief of Staff, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
16. July 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
17. July 2014 - July 2015, Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
18. July 2015 - May 2016, Commander, Ninth Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
19. June 2016 - September 2016, Special Assistant to the Commander, Air Combat Command, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
20. October 2016 – August 2018, Commander, 12th Air Force, Air Combat Command, and Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
21. August 2018 - present, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters USAF, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2002 – March 2002, Master Air Attack Planner, USCENTAF Combined Air Operations Center, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia, as a major
2. May 2008 – August 2008, Vice Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Combined Joint Task Force 101, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, as a colonel
3. April 2010 – April 2011, Executive Officer, Deputy Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii, as a colonel
4. October 2016 - August 2018, Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 6,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15E, F/A-18, F-16, F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor Device with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Royal Australian Air Force Chief of Staff Gold Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with silver and four bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 12, 1986
First Lieutenant Feb. 12, 1988
Captain Feb. 12, 1990
Major Nov. 17, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 10, 2002
Colonel Jan. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Sept. 14, 2012
Major General Sept. 2, 2015
Lieutenant General Oct. 3, 2016
(Current as of September 2018)