Michael R. Shoults, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. Mr. Shoults assists in the oversight of the Air Force’s Nuclear Deterrence Operations, Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction efforts, Nuclear Command Control and Communication portfolios and international treaties and arms control agreements. In this capacity, he provides direction, guidance, integration and advocacy while engaging with joint, interagency and international partners. Mr. Shoults was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force upon graduation from Parks College of St. Louis University in 1982. He has an extensive background in Air Force operations, amassing more than 3,000 hours in the B-52H Stratofortress and B-1B Lancer. In addition, he has held several key operational and staff positions at the squadron, wing, numbered Air Force and Headquarters, U.S. Air Force levels. After more than 27 years of active-duty service in the Air Force, Mr. Shoults retired as a colonel and was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2013. Prior to his current position, Mr. Shoults served as the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements.
1982 Bachelor of Science, Aircraft Maintenance Management, Parks College of St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
1989 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Master of Arts, Management, Webster University, Webster Groves, Mo.
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
1996 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1996 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2000 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2004 Master of Arts, Strategic Security Studies, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Advanced Professional Executives Program, Department of Defense Senior Executive Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2017 National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2018 Vanguard Senior Executive Development Program, Washington, D.C.
1. March 1983–January 1984, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, 449th Flying Training Squadron, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
2. January 1984–September 1984, Student, B-52 Stratofortress Navigator Training, 4017th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. September 1984–December 1986, B-52 Standardization and Evaluation Navigator, 7th Bomb Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
4. December 1986–January 1988, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 82nd Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. January 1988–July 1988, Student, B-1 Lancer Training, 4018th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
6. July 1988–July 1993, Flight Commander, Chief of Training, 28th Bomb Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
7. July 1993–November 1994, B-1 Formal Training Unit Instructor, 337th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
8. November 1994-June 1995, Chief of Wing B-1 Standardization and Evaluation, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
9. June 1995–July 1996, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport R.I.
10. July 1996–April 1999, U.S. Air Force Operations Readiness Officer, U.S. Atlantic Command, Norfolk, Va.
11. April 1999–May 2001, Operations Officer, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
12. May 2001–July 2003, Commander, 28th Bomb Squadron; Deputy Operations Group Commander, Dyess AFB, Texas
13. July 2003–June 2004, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2004–July 2005, Deputy Chief, U.S. Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
15. July 2005–April 2007, Vice Commander, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
16. April 2007–August 2008, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Eighth Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.
17. August 2008–September 2010, Chief, Nuclear Plans, Policy and Strategy Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
18. September 2010–February 2013, Director of Staff, Assistant Chief of Staff, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
19. February 2013–March 2018, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
20. March 2018–January 2020, Director of Policy, Programs & Strategy, International Affairs, Office of the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
21. January 2020–February 2022, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
22. February 2022–present, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: 3,800
Aircraft Flown: B-1, B-52, T-37 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air and Space Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
(Current as of September 2023)