Grant McVicker, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cost and Economics, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C. Mr. McVicker is responsible for assisting the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Cost and Economics) in directing and supervising Air Force cost, economic and business case analysis. He also assists in managing the activities of the Air Force Cost Analysis Agency and is Deputy Chair of the Air Force Cost Analysis Improvement Group.
Mr. McVicker retired from active duty in May 2006 as a lieutenant colonel after serving for more than 20 years with the Air Force. He started his career as a Missile Combat Crew Commander stationed at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. After this assignment, he transitioned into the Acquisition Financial Management Career field at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio where he earned a Masters of Science in cost analysis from the Air Force Institute of Technology. Upon graduation, he served at the Air Force Cost Analysis Agency and then at the Directorate of Cost Analysis, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Cost and Economics. After his assignment at the Pentagon, he was assigned to the F-22 Program Office where he led the Production Financial Management Branch. After an assignment to Air Command and Staff College, Mr. McVicker became the Director of Affordability for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
Prior to his current assignment, Mr. McVicker served as the Chief of the Aircraft and Weapons Division, Air Force Cost Analysis Agency, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. In this role, he was accountable for the development and defense of the Air Force’s cost estimates for major defense acquisition aircraft and weapon programs. He presented at Defense Acquisition Executive reviews, served as the Chair of the Cost Integrated Product Team and lead multi-functional teams in the development of Service Cost Positions. He also directed the maintenance of historical/technical databases and cost research to improve cost-estimating methodologies.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Corporate Finance, West Virginia University, Morgantown
1989 Master of Science, Business Administration, University of Montana, Missoula
1993 Master of Science in Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technologies, Dayton, Ohio
2001 Master of Military Operational Art and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Montgomery, Ala.
1. 1986 - 1990, Missile Combat Crew Commander, 490th SMS, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
2. 1990 - 1991, Financial Manager, Transports, Systems Division, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. 1991 - 1992, Financial Manager, Executive Transports, Systems Division, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. 1992 - 1993, Graduate Student in Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. 1993 - 1995, Weapon System Cost Analyst, Air Force Cost Analysis Agency, Arlington, Va.
6. 1995 - 1997, Senior Weapon Systems Cost Analyst, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Cost and Economics, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. 1997, Chief, F-117A Financial Management, F-117A SPO, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 1997 - 2000, Chief, F-22 Production Financial Management Branch, F-22 SPO, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 2000 - 2001, Masters Candidate in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. 2001 - 2004, Director, JSF Affordability IPT, JSF Program Office, Crystal Gateway 4, Arlington, Va.
11. 2004 - 2013, Chief, Aircraft & Weapons Division, AFCAA, Crystal Gateway North, Arlington, Va.
13. 2013 - present, Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cost and Economics, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
1997 American Society of Military Comptrollers Analysis and Evaluation Award
1998 F-22 Team of the Year Award
1999 Department of Defense Value Engineering Team Award
2000 F-22 Senior Level Professional Military
2001 The Maxwell/Gunter Volunteer Excellence and Angel Award
2002 Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition (SAF/AQ) Acquisition Hero Award
2010 Notable Achievement Award for Global Hawk Should Cost Team
2010 Special Acts and Services Award
2011 Special Acts and Services Annual Award for SDB I & II Financial Management Team
2016 Meritorious Civilian Award
Business - Cost Estimating, Level III, Acquisition Professional
Financial Management and Comptroller, Level III, Acquisition Professional
DoD Financial Management/Comptroller, Level III
(Current as of April 2017)