Craig A. Smith, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy General Counsel for Intelligence, International and Military Affairs, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for providing legal advice to the Secretary of the Air Force, the assistant secretaries, the General Counsel and officials of the Secretariat and Air Staff on matters pertaining to intelligence and national security matters, international law, space and cyberspace matters, military personnel law and investigative matters of major importance.
Mr. Smith retired from active duty Nov. 1, 2012, after nearly thirty years as an active duty Air Force judge advocate. He last served as the senior legal counsel for Air Force Space Command. In previous positions, he served as senior legal counsel at the wing and numbered Air Force levels of command, as chief of the Air Force Military Justice Division, and as an appellate military judge on the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals. He also performed duty as the staff judge advocate for Joint Task Force Southwest Asia (JTF-SWA), U.S. Central Command, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force Southern Watch (9th ASETF-SW).
Mr. Smith is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Massachusetts Supreme Judical Court, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.
1977 Bachelor of Arts in History, University of New Hampshire
1982 Juris Doctor (Law) degree, Franklin Pierce Law Center
1993 Air Command and Staff College
1998 Air War College
1. January 1983 - September 1983, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 836th Combat Support Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2. September 1983 - May 1985, Area Defense Counsel, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. May 1985 - June 1987, Chief of Military Justice, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
4. June 1987 - July 1990, Chief, Civil Law and Acquisition Law, Headquarters 16th Air Force, Torrejon AB, Spain
5 July 1990 - August 1992, Member, Military Justice Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1992 - July 1993, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 1993 - July 1995, Staff Judge Advocate, 722nd Air Refueling Wing, March AFB, Calif.
8. July 1995 - July 1998, Staff Judge Advocate, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
9. July 1998 - July 2000, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 9th Air Force and CENTAF, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. July 2000 - July 2004, Chief, Military Justice Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2004 - July 2006, Appellate Military Judge, Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2006 - July 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, IL
13. July 2008 - July 2009, Executive to The Judge Advocate General, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2009 - July 2012, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
2000 Air Combat Command Outstanding Senior Attorney
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
American Bar Association
Judge Advocates Association
"Legal Considerations in International Space Operations," High Frontier - The Journal for Space and Cyberspace Professionals, February 2010, Volume 6, Number 2
(Current as of April 2013)