Lt. Gen. Nina M. Armagno is the Director of Staff, Headquarters, U.S. Space Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In this role, she synchronizes policy, plans, positions, procedures, and cross functional issues for the U.S. Space Force headquarters staff.
Lt. Gen. Armagno earned her commission and graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in June 1988. She is a career space operator with more than 32 years of operational experience. She is the only person to have commanded both launch wings in the United States Air Force, and she is the first woman general officer commissioned in the United States Space Force.
Prior to her current assignment, Lt. Gen. Armagno was the Director, Space Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Acquisition, Arlington, Virginia. She directed the development and procurement of space programs to Air Force major commands, product centers and laboratories. Her responsibilities included crafting program strategies and options for representing Air Force positions to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the office of the Secretary of Defense, Congress and the White House. She has also served as Director of Plans and Policy, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. She was directly responsible to the USSTRATCOM Commander for the development and implementation of national security policy and guidance, military strategy, space and weapons employment policy and concepts and joint doctrine as they apply to the command and the execution of its mission. She also served as the Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analysis, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado; Commander, 45th Space Wing, and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick AFB, Florida; Commander, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, California; Commander and Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colorado; Senior Military Assistant and Chief of Staff to the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense; Squadron and Installation Commander, 6th Space Warning Squadron, Cape Cod Air Force Station, Massachusetts; and Director of Operations, 1st Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral AFS, Florida. Her experience in space systems operations includes combat-mission-ready operator, instructor, evaluator and flight commander in strategic missile warning, space surveillance, space control, space launch and theater missile warning mission areas. In addition, she has held staff assignments at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Headquarters 14th Air Force and the 381st Training Group, and has served as an Air Force Legislative Fellow in the Office of Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Biology, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Master of Arts, Education Administration and Management, Chapman University, Calif.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
2002 Air Force Legislative Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
2003 Certificate in Legislative Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
2007 Master of Science, National Security Studies, National War College, Washington, D.C.
2010 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Charlottesville
2010 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2014 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
2014 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Senior Joint Information Operations Application Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Senior Executives in National and International Security Program, Harvard Kennedy School, Boston, Mass.
2019 Cyberspace Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2019 Senior Acquisition Management Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1. July 1988–November 1988, Student, Undergraduate Space Training, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
2. November 1988–December 1988, Student, Combat Crew Training, Peterson AFB, Colo.
3. January 1989–February 1993, Missile Warning Crew Commander, Chief of Training and Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 7th Space Warning Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
4. March 1993–November 1994, Chief, Operations Training, 21st Operations Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. November 1994–September 1996, Flight Commander, 11th Space Warning Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
6. September 1996–July 1998, Instructor and Flight Commander, 533rd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
7. July 1998–July 1999, Executive Officer, 381st Training Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
8. July 1999–July 2000, Chief, Warning Operations, Headquarters 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
9. July 2000–September 2001, Operations Officer, 1st Space Launch Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
10. September 2001–September 2002, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Washington, D.C.
11. September 2002–May 2003, Chief, ground-based warning, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2003–December 2004, Commander, 6th Space Warning Squadron, Cape Cod AFS, Mass.
13. December 2004–July 2006, Deputy Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 2006–June 2007, Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2007–May 2008, Military Assistant for Space and Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Systems to the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Arlington, Va.
16. May 2008–June 2009, Senior Military Assistant and Chief of Staff to the Director, Operational Test and Evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Arlington, Va.
17. June 2009–July 2011, Commander, 21st Operations Group, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2011–January 2012, Director of Staff, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
19. January 2012–May 2013, Commander, 30th Space Wing, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
20. June 2013–August 2015, Commander, 45th Space Wing, and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick AFB, Fla.
21. August 2015–June 2017, Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analysis, Peterson AFB, Colo.
22. June 2017–June 2018, Director, Plans and Policy, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
23. June 2018–August 2020, Director, Space Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Acquisition, Arlington, Va.
24. September 2020–present, Director of Staff, Headquarters, U.S. Space Force, Arlington, Va.
Master Space Operations Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
2010 Women of Influence Award
2014 Gen. Jerome F. O'Malley Distinguished Space Leadership Award
(Current as of October 2020)