Lt. Gen. Kevin B. Schneider is the Director of Staff, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In this role, he synchronizes and integrates policy, plans, positions, procedures, and cross functional issues for the headquarters staff.
Lt. Gen. Schneider earned his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1988. He is a graduate of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program and the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. He has commanded at the squadron, group, and wing levels to include a combat wing in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility. His staff assignments include tours on the Joint Staff, Air Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, and Pacific Air Forces. The general is a command pilot with 4,000 flight hours in the F-16, F-15E, T-38C, and UH-1N to include 530 combat flight hours. He has served in operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, and Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current position, Lt. Gen. Schneider was the Commander, United States Forces, Japan, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
1988 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Master of National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Marine Corps War College, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
1. August 1988–September 1989, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 88th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 1990–November 1990, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, 72nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. November 1990–November 1993, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
4. November 1993–January 1996, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Wing Weapons Flight Commander, 432nd Operations Support Squadron, then Assistant Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 13th Fighter Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
5. January 1996–June 1996, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, F-16 Division, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 1996–June 1998, Squadron Weapons Officer, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, and Flight Commander, 78th FS and 55th FS, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. June 1998–May 2000, F-16 Instructor Weapons Officer, Chief of Special Projects, and Assistant Operations Officer, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. May 2000–October 2001, Aide-de-Camp to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
9. January 2002–August 2003, Chief, Wing Weapons and Tactics, 52nd FS, then Operations Officer, 23rd FS, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
10. August 2003–July 2004, Commander, 80th FS, Kunsan AB, South Korea
11. July 2004–June 2005, Student, Marine Corps War College, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
12. June 2005–June 2007, Action Officer for Western Europe and the Balkans and Eastern Europe and Eurasia Branches, then Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs for Europe, NATO, Russia, and Africa, Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Headquarters Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2007–January 2008, Senior Deputy Commander, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. January 2008–June 2009, Vice Commander, 388th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
15. June 2009–July 2011, Commander, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
16. July 2011–June 2013, Director, Air Force General Officer Management, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, HAF, Arlington, Va.
17. June 2013–June 2014, Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
18. June 2014–May 2015, Assistant Deputy Commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, and Assistant Vice Commander, 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
19. May 2015–July 2016, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
20. July 2016–February 2019, Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii
21. February 2019–August 2021, Commander, United States Forces, Japan, and Commander, Fifth Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
22. August 2021–present, Director of Staff, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2005–June 2007, Action Officer for Western Europe and the Balkans and Eastern Europe and Eurasia Branches, then Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs for Europe, NATO, Russia, and Africa, Plans and Policy Directorate (J5), Headquarters Joint Staff, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2016–February 2019, Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, Hawaii, as a major general
3. February 2019–August 2021, Commander, United States Forces, Japan, Yokota Air Base, Japan, as a lieutenant general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000 including more than 530 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16, F-15E, T-38C, and UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Distinguished Service Medal
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major Aug. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Brigadier General June 2, 2013
Major General Nov. 2, 2015
Lieutenant General Feb. 5, 2019
(Current as of February 2022)