Mr. Joseph C. Bonnet III is Director of Joint Training and Exercises for North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He is responsible for all joint training, education, and exercises for both commands and their respective regions, components, and subordinate commands. He leads approximately 160 personnel in five divisions covering joint exercises, joint training and education, qualification training, joint resources and readiness and assessor authority training.
Mr. Bonnet has more than 40 years of professional experience in national security. He served more than 23 years in the U.S. Army, having held a number of combat arms command and staff assignments within the U.S. and overseas, including two battalion commands. He also served two Joint tours while on active duty with the Joint Staff, J-3, and with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in Germany and Bosnia.
After retiring from active duty, Mr. Bonnet accepted a series of positions in the defense industry, culminating in 2001 with support for the Force Structure, Resources and Assessment Directorate, Joint Staff, J-8 as an on-site contractor for Northrop-Grumman. In 2002, Mr. Bonnet entered the Civil Service as Deputy, Warfighting Concepts and Architectures Integration Division, Joint Staff, J-8.
Mr. Bonnet was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in July 2007, taking in March 2008 the position of Vice Director, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate, Joint Staff, J-7. There, he was responsible for overseeing and managing the Directorate’s four divisions: Joint Operational War Plans, Joint Experimentation, Transformation and Concepts, joint exercise and training and joint education and doctrine and its military secretariat. Mr. Bonnet entered his current position at NORAD and USNORTHCOM in February 2011.
1974 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1974 Infantry Officer Basic Course, Fort Benning, Ga.
1981 Armor Officer Career Course, Fort Knox, Ky.
1984 Master of Science, Personnel Management, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1988 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2008 APEX Senior Executive Orientation Program, Washington, D.C.
2010 CAPSTONE Senior Military Leadership Program, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. June - August 1972, Student, U.S. Army Ranger School, Fort Benning, Ga.
2. August 1974, Student, US Army Airborne School, Fort Benning, Ga.
3. September - December 1974, Student, US Army Infantry Basic Officers Course, Fort Benning, Ga.
4. December 1974 - April 1976, Rifle Platoon Leader, 1st Bn, 502nd INF, 101st Airborne Div (AA), Fort Campbell, Ky.
5. April - December 1976, Special Duty - Air Assault School Instructor, 101st Airborne Div (AA), Fort Campbell, Ky.
6. December 1976 - June 1978, Test Officer and HHC Commander, US Army Tropic Test Center, Corozal, Canal Zone, Panama
7. June 1978 - August 1979, Chief, Individual Training, 193rd Infantry Bde, Fort Amador, Canal Zone, Panama
8. August 1979 - March 1981, HHC Commander, 4th Bn, 20th INF (Mechanized), 193rd Infantry Bde, Fort Clayton, Panama
9. April - October 1981, Student, US Army Armor Officer Career Course, Fort Knox, Ky.
10. October 1981 - September 1982, U.S. Army Ranger School Instructor and Chief, “B” Branch; subsequently elevated to Executive Officer, Camp James E. Rudder, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. September 1982 - July 1984, Ranger Instructor, Senior Tactical Officer, and Operations Officer, Ranger Department, U.S. Army Infantry School and Center, Fort Benning, Ga.
12. August 1984 - June 1985, Corps Tactical Operations Officer, G3, III US Corps, Fort Hood, Texas
13. June 1985 - April 1986, S3 (Operations Officer), 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas
14. April 1986 - December 1987, Executive Officer, 1st Squadron, 9th Cavalry (reflagged during this period to 7th Cavalry), 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas
15. January - June 1988, Student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
16. July 1988 - July 1991, Action Officer, Special Technical Operations, Counternarcotics Operations, Joint Operations and Special Operations Divisions, the Joint Staff, J-3, Washington, D.C.
17. July 1991 - June 1993, ROTC Battalion Commander, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
18. July 1993 - June 1995, Battalion Commander, Headquarters Battalion, Fort Belvoir, Va.
19. July 1995 - June 1997, Chief War Plans, LANDCENT, NATO, Heidelberg, Germany
20. October 1996 - May 1997, Deputy J5 (Plans and Policy), IFOR and SFOR, Bosnia-Herzegovina
21. July 1997 - January 1998, Joint Force Development Integration Officer, G3, HQ DA, Washington, D.C.
22. January 1998 - July 1999, Senior Military Analyst, SETA Corp, McLean, Va.
23. July 1999 - May 2001, Science Advisor and Project Manager, IITRI Corp, Alexandria, Va.
24. May 2001 - August 2002, Program Engineer, Northrop-Grumman, Arlington, Va.
25. August 2002 - June 2004, Deputy Division Chief, Warfighting Concepts and Architectures Integration Division, the Joint Staff, J-8, Washington, D.C.
26. June 2004 - June 2006, Deputy Division Chief, Joint Experimentation, Transformation, and Concepts Division, the Joint Staff, J-7, Washington, D.C.
27. June 2006 - July 2007, Division Chief, Joint Experimentation, Transformation, and Concepts Division,
the Joint Staff, J-7, Washington, D.C.
28. July - November 2007, Deputy Director, Joint Force Development, the Joint Staff, J-7, Washington, D.C.
29. November 2007 - February 2011, Vice Director, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development, the Joint Staff, J-7, Washington, D.C.
30. February 2011 - Present, Director, Joint Training and Exercises, NORAD-USNORTHCOM/J7, Colorado Springs, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
CJCS Joint Distinguished Civilian Service Award
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Association of the United States Army
Military Operations Research Society
National Security Professional
(Current as of March 2017)