Jay W. Fiebig, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Engineering for the Joint Strike Fighter Program Office in Arlington, Va. The JSF Program Office is the Defense Department’s agency responsible for the development, production, and sustainment of the F-35A/B/C Lightning II, the next-generation strike aircraft for the Air Force, Marines, Navy, and eight partner nations. Mr. Fiebig is responsible for sound systems engineering processes and product integrity of all aspects of DoD’s largest acquisition program. The F-35 Lightning II is postured to deliver dominate global strike capabilities to U.S. warfighters, partner nations, and foreign customers well into the future.
Mr. Fiebig entered civil service in 1980 at Warner Robins Air Logistics Center where he began his career as an aircraft sheet metal mechanic. While there, he went on to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering and served in senior engineering positions in the C-130 and C-5 program offices, the Air Logistics Center staff, and the 402nd Maintenance Wing. His next assignment took him to Wright Patterson Air Force Base. There he served as the Technical Director for the Air Force Materiel Command Headquarters Engineering Directorate and later as the Director of Engineering for the Air Force Research Laboratory Headquarters. In 2015, he entered into the Senior Executive Service where he was assigned to Hill AFB as an Associate Director of Engineering for the Air Force Sustainment Command. In 2018, he was assigned to F-35 Joint Program Office as the Director of Engineering, where he serves today.
2007 Master of Science in administration/logistics management, Georgia College and State University, Milledgeville
2005 Air War College, Seminar, Robins AFB Ga.
1992 Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering, Mercer University, Macon, Ga.
1984 Associate of Science in physics, Macon Junior College, Macon, Ga.
1982 Associate of Science in business administration, Middle Georgia College, Cochran, Ga.
1. 1980 - 1985, aircraft sheet metal mechanic, Maintenance Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. 1985 – 1988, mechanical engineering technician, Competition Advocate’s Office, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
3. 1988 -1991, supervisory engineering technician, Competition Advocates Office/ Logistics Support Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
4. 1991 – 1993, supervisory engineering data management, Logistics Support Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
5. 1993 - 2001, aerospace engineer, Engineering Division, Technology and Industrial Support Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
6. 2001 – 2003, engineering supervisor, Engineering Division, Technology and Industrial Support Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
7. 2003 - 2005, Systems and Structures Engineering Branch Chief, C-130 Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. 2005 – 2006, Engineering Division Chief, 730th Strategic Airlift Group, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
9. 2006 – 2008, Engineering Division Chief, 330th Tactical Airlift Group, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. 2008 - 2010, Enterprise Engineering Division Chief, WR-ALC Engineering Home Office, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. 2010 – 2012, Technical Director, 402nd Maintenance Wing, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. 2012 - 2015, Technical Director, Engineering and Technical Management Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. 2015 - 2015, Director of Engineering and Technical Management, AFRL/EN, HQ Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. 2015-2018, Director of Engineering and Technical Management, AFSC/EN Operating Location Hill AFB, Utah
15. 2018 –present, Director of Engineering, F-35 Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va.
2004 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2005 WR-ALC Senior Civilian Engineer Award
2008 Civilian Achievement Award
2010 Civilian Achievement Award
2012 WR-ALC Chief Engineer Award
2012 Exemplary Civilian Service Award
2015 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2018 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
(Current as of April 2018)