Maj. Gen. Tom Wilcox serves as Commander, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He leads an intermediate-level headquarters responsible for providing installation and mission support capabilities to 77 Air Force installations, nine major commands and two direct reporting units with an annual budget of approximately $10 billion. One of six centers assigned to Air Force Materiel Command, the unit’s cross-functional team integrates security forces, civil engineering, base communications, logistics readiness, installation ministry programs, services, operational acquisition and financial management across 10 detachments and four primary subordinate units. Those units are the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Air Force Installation Contracting Center, Air Force Security Forces Center and Air Force Services Center.
Maj. Gen. Wilcox earned his commission as a distinguished graduate from the Reserve Officer Training Program at Louisiana Tech University in 1991. He is a career security forces officer and has served in a variety of operational assignments, including squadron, group and wing command, as well as a 365-day tour to Multi-National Force-Iraq. Maj. Gen. Wilcox served in staff positions at the major command, Air Staff and Office of the Secretary of Defense levels. Prior to this assignment, he served as Director of Strategic Plans, Programs and Requirements at Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Human Resource Management, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master’s, Military Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master’s, Strategic Studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2014 U.S. Air Force Leadership Enhancement Program, Greensboro, N.C.
2015 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2016 Air Force Smart Operations 21 Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1. December 1992 - June 1995, Flight Leader, Officer in Charge Missile Response Force Branch and Missile Support Branch, later, Convoy Commander, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
2. June 1995 - June 1996, Officer in Charge of Air Base Defense/Security Forces Training, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. June 1996 - November 1998, Shift Commander, later, Squadron Section Commander, Barksdale AFB, La.
4. November 1998 - December 2000, Operations Officer, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. January 2001 - July 2003, Chief, Security Forces Inspections, Air Combat Command Inspector General, Joint Base Langley-Eustis AFB, Va.
6. August 2003 - June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 2004 - June 2006, Commander, 2nd Security Forces Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. July 2006 - October 2007, Chief, Nuclear and Physical Security Policy, Security Forces Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. October 2007 - October 2008, Deputy Director, later, Director, Protection, Combined Joint Operations, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad
10. October 2008 - July 2009, Chief, Manpower, Security Forces Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2009 - June 2010, Student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
12. July 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Director, Nuclear Safety, Security and Response, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense Programs, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2011 - July 2013, Commander, 90th Security Forces Group, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
14. July 2013 - March 2014, Director, Security Forces Division, Directorate of Installations and Logistics, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. March 2014 - April 2016, Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
16. April 2016 - May 2018, Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements, Headquarters AFGSC, Barksdale AFB, La.
17. May 2018 - July 2019, Director of Operations and Communications, Headquarters AFGSC, Barksdale AFB, La.
18. July 2019 - present, Commander, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, JB San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2007 - October 2008, Deputy Director, later, Director, Protection, Combined Joint Operations, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad, as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Director, Nuclear Safety, Security and Response, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense Programs, Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with “N” device and four oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 11, 1992
First Lieutenant May 11, 1994
Captain May 11, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General May 2, 2017
Major General Frocked
(Current as of July 2019)