Brig. Gen. Ronald E. Jolly Sr. is the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. As Director, he provides leadership, management and integration of aircraft and munitions maintenance, civil engineers, contingency contracting, security forces, transportation and materiel management, storage and distribution. His directorate supports the deployment, basing, sustainment and redeployment of military forces across an area of operations covering 19 million square miles and 104 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Additionally, he oversees force protection, logistics and base operating support for over 200 aircraft and 63,000 military and dependents across 10 wings and 83 geographically-separated units.
Brig. Gen. Jolly entered active duty after being commissioned through ROTC at Oklahoma State University in December 1990. He began his career as a Gold Bar recruiter with the Air Force ROTC program at the University of North Texas in August 1991. He graduated from the Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Course in January 1993 and began his career as an aircraft maintenance and munitions officer at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. He has commanded aircraft maintenance organizations at both the group and squadron levels supporting flying operations for F-5E/F, F-15C/D/E, and F-16 aircraft, and has deployed on multiple occasions in support of operations Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. In his role as a logistics readiness officer, he has led supply operations support at the wing level and logistics support within a combatant command. He has also held key leadership positions in nuclear deterrence and operations at wing, depot and major command staff levels.
General Jolly is a fully qualified aircraft maintenance officer and logistician having served tours as Training Wing Commander, Air Logistics Complex Deputy Commander for Maintenance, Chief of Staff for Headquarters, U.S. Central Command Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, Maintenance Group commander, Military Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, staff officer at the Headquarters Air Force level and numerous wing level maintenance and logistics positions.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Industrial Engineering and Management, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in residence and by correspondence
2000 Master of Management, Troy State University-Atlantic Region, Norfolk, Va.
2006 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
1. August 1991–January 1993, Assistant Regional Director of Admissions, Air Force ROTC Det. 835, University of North Texas, Denton
2. January 1993–May 1993, Officer in Charge, Aerospace Ground Equipment Flight, 57th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
3. May 1993–April 1995, Assistant OIC, Falcon Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 57th Sortie Generation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. April 1995–May 1996, OIC, Eagle Aircraft Maintenance Unit, 57th Sortie Generation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. May 1996–May 1997, F-16/F-5 Aircraft Maintenance Consultant, Shaikh Isa Air Base, Manama City, Bahrain
6. May 1997–June 1997, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1997–May 1999, Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
8. May 1999–June 2001, Combat Operations Flight Commander, 1st Supply Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2001–May 2002, Maintenance Supervisor, 4th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
10. June 2002–September 2002, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
11. October 2002–June 2003, Chief, Quality Assurance, 4th Maintenance Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
12. June 2003–June 2005, Commander, 33rd Maintenance Operations Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
13. July 2005–June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2006–June 2008, Chief, Maintenance, Logistics Readiness, Security Forces and Civil Engineering Assignments, Headquarters Air Force Colonels Management Office, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2008–July 2009, Military Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. August 2009–June 2010, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
17. June 2010–June 2011, Commander, 8th Maintenance Group, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
18. July 2011–June 2013, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, U.S. Central Command Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, MacDill AFB, Fla.
19. June 2013–July 2014, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, Ogden Air Logistics Complex, Hill AFB, Utah
20. July 2014–June 2016, Installation Commander and Commander, 75th Air Base Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
21. July 2016–March 2017, Associate Director, Directorate of Resource Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations, Security, and Civil Engineering, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
22. March 2017–June 2019, Installation Commander and Commander, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
23. July 2019–present, Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2011–June 2013, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, U.S. Central Command Directorate of Logistics and Engineering, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and three oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
2000 Headquarters U.S. Air Force Junior Supply Manager of the Year
2000 Team Langley Company Grade Officer of the Year
2015 Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award nominee
2018 Headquarters Air Education and Training Command General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award nominee
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 21, 1990
First Lieutenant April 17, 1993
Captain April 17, 1995
Major Feb. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Brigadier General July 3, 2017
(Current as of August 2021)