Robert D. Rego is the Strategic Missions Advisor to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. In this role he assists the Commander in operationalizing the Space Joint Operating Area and supports the on-going execution of the nuclear, space, cyber and electronic warfare missions providing depth of experience and critical insight to innovatively and agilely deliver cross-domain integration for issues affecting Command capabilities. Mr. Rego is a highly qualified expert and will serve in this position for two years.
Mr. Rego served a 31-year active duty and reserve career, retiring as a major general in 2017. He entered the Air Force in 1985 as a graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps program and held assignments as a Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile crewmember, duty in special projects at Headquarters, U.S. Space Command, as the Air Force Research Laboratory liaison to the U.S. Army Big Crow Program Office, in numerous assignments at Headquarters, Air Force Space Command, and as the Air Force Global Strike Command Director of Communications and Vice Commander. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska.
1985 Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology, University of California, Los Angeles
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Master of Arts in Space Systems Management, Webster University
2000 Master’s degree in Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Air War College, by correspondence
2004 Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2005 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Executive Course on National and International Affairs, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1985 - February 1986, student, missile initial qualification training, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. February 1986 - February 1990, Minuteman ICBM deputy crew commander; instructor deputy crew commander; crew commander; and flight commander, 321st Strategic Missile Wing, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. April 1990 - August 1990, student, undergraduate space training, Lowry AFB, Colo.
4. August 1990 - December 1992, space warning officer; space control operations staff officer; and Deputy Chief, Special Operations Section, Headquarters U.S. Space Command, Cheyenne Mountain AFS, Colo.
5. January 1993 - June 1998, space control operations officer; space operations analyst; and space operations officer, Headquarters U.S. Space Command, Cheyenne Mountain AFS, Colo.
6. June 1998 - July 1999, Director of Operational Technology Migration and liaison to U.S. Army Big Crow Program Office, Space Vehicles Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M. (May 1999 - June 1999, Deputy Commander and operations officer, U.S. Army Space Command Unit (Forward), Camp Darby, Italy)
7. July 1999 - June 2000, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2000 - July 2003, Chief, Space Control Mission Team, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo. (October 2001 - December 2001, space and information operations planner and airborne mission systems operator, Central Command area of responsibility; March 2003 - April 2003, space and information operations planner and airborne mission commander, Central Command area of responsibility)
9. July 2003 - June 2004, student, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
10. July 2004 - June 2006, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. June 2006 - July 2007, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. July 2007 - May 2010, Mobilization Assistant to the Director of Air, Space and Nuclear Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. June 2010 - October 2013, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La. (October 2012 - July 2013 concurrent duty as the Headquarters AFGSC Director of Communications)
14. October 2013 - August 2014, Vice Commander, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. September 2014 - August 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
16. October 2016 - present, Strategic Missions Advisor to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 'V' device and two oak leaf clusters
Kosovo Campaign Medal with service star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two service stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
(Current as of May 2017)