Brig. Gen. Craig R. Baker is the Vice Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. Twelfth Air Force ensures the readiness of seven active duty wings and one direct reporting unit for contingency operations, and oversees 21 gained units from the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard, totaling more than 630 aircraft with more than 45,000 Airmen. As the air and space component to U.S. Southern Command, Air Forces Southern conducts security cooperation and provides air, space and cyberspace capabilities throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
Brig. Gen. Baker graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1992 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Prior to his current position, the general was the Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
1997 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence, Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
2012 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2015 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2019 Joint Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2019 Air Force Enterprise Executive Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
1. August 1992–September 1993, Student Pilot, 54th Flying Training Squadron, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1993–October 1994, F-16 Initial Training, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. October 1994–October 1995, Squadron Electronic Combat Pilot, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1995–July 1997, Instructor Pilot and Assistant Weapons Officer, 4th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
5. July 1997–December 1997, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School F-16 Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. December 1997–March 1999, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 4th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
7. March 1999–July 2002, Instructor and Flight Commander, U.S. Air Force Weapons School F-16 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. July 2002–July 2004, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. July 2004–July 2005, F-22 Program Manager, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. July 2005–August 2006, Student, Joint Military Intelligence College, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2006–March 2008, Chief, Global Strike Branch, Directorate of Requirements, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operational Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
12. March 2008–September 2009, Director of Operations, 7th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
13. September 2009–July 2011, Commander, 8th Fighter Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
14. July 2011–June 2012, Student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. June 2012–July 2013, Director of Operations, Air Force Central Command Operations Directorate, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
16. July 2013–February 2014, Vice Commander, 57th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
17. March 2014–July 2016, Commander, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo Air National Guard Base, Ohio
18. July 2016–June 2017, Director, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Checkmate Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
19. June 2017–June 2018, Commander, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram AB, Afghanistan
20. June 2018–present, Vice Commander, 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2012–July 2013, Director of Operations, Air Force Central Command Operations Directorate, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,900
Aircraft flown: F-22A, F-16C/D, T-38A and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with combat device
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters and combat device
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATEs OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1992
First Lieutenant May 30, 1994
Captain May 30, 1996
Major January 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2007
Colonel August 1, 2013
Brigadier General June 2, 2018
(Current as of August 2019)