Brig. Gen. Evan C. Dertien is the Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is responsible for managing a $2.5 billion Air Force science and technology program and an additional $2.3 billion in externally funded research and development. He is also responsible for leading a government workforce of approximately 6,000 people in the laboratory's nine component technology directorates and the 711th Human Performance Wing.
Brig. Gen. Dertien received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1993. After attending Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, he served as an operational F-15 pilot and completed three combat deployments. He then served as an F-15 RTU instructor pilot and was selected to attend U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School. After graduating from Test Pilot School, he worked as an F-15, F-16 and F-22 test pilot in various assignments. He was also assigned as an initial cadre instructor pilot for the first operational F-22 unit at Langley AFB, Virginia. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Dertien served as the Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2005 Master of Aeronautical Sciences, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2006 Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Intermediate Developmental Education Fellowship, Arlington, Va.
2011 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. November 1993‒December 1994, Student Pilot, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 1995‒December 1995, F-15 Upgrade Training, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. December 1995‒June 1998, F-15 Pilot, 390th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
4. June 1998‒June 2001, F-15 Instructor Pilot, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. June 2001‒June 2002, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. June 2002‒August 2003, F-16/F-15 Test Pilot, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
7. August 2003‒June 2005, F-22 Test Pilot, 411th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. June 2005‒July 2006, F-22 Instructor/Flight Examiner, 27th Fighter Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
9. July 2006‒June 2007, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Fellowship Intermediate Developmental Education, Arlington, Va.
10. June 2007‒June 2008, Operations Officer, F-22 Combined Test Force, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. July 2008‒June 2010, Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. July 2010‒June 2011, Student, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2011‒March 2012, Assignment data masked
14. March 2012‒July 2012, Commander, 412th Test Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
15. July 2012‒July 2013, Assignment data masked
16. July 2013‒February 2014, Vice Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
17. February 2014–June 2016, Commander, Assignment data masked
18. July 2016–May 2017, Vice Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. May 2017–July 2019, Wing Commander, 96thTest Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
20. July 2019–January 2020, Director, Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
21. January 2020–present, Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,000; more than 180 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-15, F-22, F-16 and 25 other aircraft
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Nov. 2, 2017
(Current as of February 2020)