Maj. Gen. Donna D. Shipton is the Deputy Director, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Virginia. Her responsibilities include assisting the Director in managing the strategic and tactical operations of the NRO. Additionally, as the Commander of the Space Force Element, she manages all Air Force and Space Force personnel and resources assigned to the NRO, and serves as the senior advisor to the DNRO on all military matters.
Maj. Gen. Shipton received her commission in 1991 as a distinguished graduate of Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps after graduating from Clemson University. During her career, she has served in a variety of positions including: Program Manager, Satellite Engineer, Squadron and Group Commander, Senior Materiel Leader, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition Senior Military Assistant and Air Force Program Executive Officer.
Prior to her current position, the general was Director of Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analyses, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. She was responsible for command-wide strategic planning, programming, enterprise analyses, wargaming and operational requirements. She governed the Program Objective Memorandum process for AFMC’s portfolio worth more than $40 billion.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
1995 Master of Business Administration, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
1996 Undergraduate Space and Missile Training-Staff Course, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Space Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1992–June 1996, Project Engineer and Lead Systems Engineer, GPS Block IIF Satellite System, GPS Joint Program Office, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
2. July 1996–July 1998, Flight Commander, Operating Division-4, National Reconnaissance Office, Onizuka Air Station, Calif.
3. August 1998–May 2000, Student, Air Force Intern Program, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. June 2000–June 2002, Chief, Satellite Engineering and Operations Branch, Aerospace Data Facility-Colorado, National Reconnaissance Office, Buckley AFB, Colo.
5. July 2002–June 2003, Program Element Monitor, Advanced Reconnaissance Programs, Airborne Reconnaissance Division, Information Dominance Directorate, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2003–May 2004, Speechwriter, Under Secretary of the Air Force (dual-hatted as Director, NRO), Secretary of the Air Force/Chief of Staff of the Air Force Executive Action Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
7. June 2004–June 2005, Intermediate Developmental Education Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 2005–June 2007, Deputy Program Manager and Program Manager, Advanced Space Control Demonstrations, Counterspace Group, Space Superiority Systems Wing, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
9. June 2007–June 2009, Commander, Space Communications Operations Squadron, Communications Directorate, NRO, Los Angeles, Calif.
10. July 2009–June 2010, Senior Developmental Education Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2010–July 2012, F-35 Fleet Manager, Logistics and Sustainment Directorate, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Arlington, Va.
12. August 2012–April 2014, Commander, Network Operations Group, Mission Operations and Communications Directorates, NRO, Chantilly, Va.
13. April 2014–June 2015, Senior Materiel Leader, Cryptologic and Cyber Systems Division, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
14. June 2015–June 2017, Senior Military Assistant, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. June 2017–June 2019, Air Force Program Executive Officer for Tankers, Tanker Directorate, AFLCMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. June 2019–June 2020, Vice Commander, Space and Missile Systems Center, U.S. Space Force, Los Angeles AFB, Calif., with duty as Air Force Deputy PEO for Space and PEO for Space Enterprise
17. July 2020–July 2021, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analyses, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
18. July 2021–present, Deputy Director and Space Force Element Commander, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2010–June 2012, F-35 Fleet Manager, Logistics and Sustainment Directorate, Joint Strike Fighter Program Office, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 9, 1992
First Lieutenant May 9, 1994
Captain May 9, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Aug. 2, 2017
Major General July 3, 2020
(Current as of August 2021)