Maj. Gen. Mark H. Slocum is the Director of Global Operations for the Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible to the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Staff for formulating policy supporting air, irregular warfare, counterproliferation, homeland defense, weather, and cyber operations. Maj. Gen. Slocum determines operational requirements, capabilities, and training necessary to support national security objectives and military strategy.
Maj. Gen. Slocum entered the Air Force in May 1992 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, earning a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Science/Aeronautical Design. He completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1993 and has accumulated more than 3,500 flight hours. His assignments have included positions as an instructor pilot in both the EF-111 Raven and F-15E Strike Eagle, in addition to a wide range of positions at the Headquarters Air Force, major command, wing and squadron levels. Maj. Gen. Slocum has a distinguished combat record in several operations, including operations Deny Flight, Provide Comfort, Norther Watch, Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, and Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current assignment, the general was Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Science/Aeronautical Design, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Oﬃcer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Master of Science, Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2006 Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 National Defense Fellowship, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 Senior Leader Executive Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Joint Forces Staff College, Joint and Combined Warﬁghting School, Norfolk, Va.
2017 Capstone General and Flag Oﬃcer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2020 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2022 Executive Leadership in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Naval Post Graduate School/Stanford University, Monterey/Palo Alto, Calif.
1. August 1992–November 1992, Intern, NASA/U.S. Air Force Academy Aeronautical Engineering Intern program, NASA Ames Research Center, Calif.
2. December 1992–December 1993, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Distinguished Graduate, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
3. April 1994–May 1994, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
4. June 1994–March 1995, Student, F-111 and EF-111 Initial and Mission Qualiﬁcation Training, Cannon AFB, N.M.
5. April 1995–August 1997, EF-111 Instructor Pilot, Standardization and Evaluation Oﬃcer, Scheduling Oﬃcer, 429th Electronic Combat Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
6. August 1997–February 1998, Student, F-15E Transition Course, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. February 1998–February 2003, F-15E Instructor Pilot, Mission Commander, Chief of Scheduling, Flight Commander, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
8. February 2003–May 2005, F-15E Formal Training Unit Instructor, Air Show Director, Assistant Director of Operations, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. May 2005–June 2006, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 2006–June 2007, Chief, Fighter Branch, Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisitions Global Power Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2007–August 2007, Deputy Division Chief, Air Dominance Division (F-22/JSF), Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisitions Global Power Directorate, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. August 2007–July 2008, Speechwriter to Secretary of the Air Force, Oﬃce of the Secretary of the Air Force, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2008–March 2009, Director of Operations, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. March 2009–June 2010, Commander, 391st Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
15. July 2010–July 2011, Senior Advisor to Iraqi Air Force, Iraq Training and Advising Mission, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Baghdad
16. July 2011–July 2012, National Defense Fellow, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
17. July 2012–June 2014, Commander, 48th Operations Group, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom
18. June 2014–June 2016, Commander, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
19. July 2016–May 2018, Director, U.S. Air Forces in Europe-United Kingdom, RAF Mildenhall, U.K.
20. June 2018–June 2019, Inspector General, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
21. June 2019–June 2020, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
22. June 2020–August 2022, Director of Operations, ACC, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
23. August 2022–present, Director of Global Operations, HAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2010–July 2011, Senior Advisor to Iraqi Air Force, Iraq Training and Advising Mission, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing, Baghdad, as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,500, including more than 1,375 combat hours and 340 combat sorties
Aircraft ﬂown: T-37, T-38, F-111, EF-111 and F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters and “C” device
Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
AF Overseas Ribbon Short with two oak leaf clusters
2002 Air Combat Command Anthony C. Shine Award
2015 Air Combat Command General and Mrs. Jerome F. O'Malley Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General May 2, 2017
Major General May 22, 2020
(Current as of September 2022)