Maj. Gen. DeAnna M. Burt is the Director of Operations and Communications, Headquarters United States Space Force, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. The directorate is responsible for organizing, training and equipping United States Space Force units for globally integrated space and cyberspace operations, and for assimilating capabilities into the operational level of war. Mission areas include missile warning, space control, spacelift and range operations, satellite command and control, nuclear event detection and airfield operations. The directorate executes an annual operations and maintenance budget of $1 billion.
Maj. Gen. Burt entered the Air Force in 1991 as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Her career has included numerous satellite operations and sta positions in Air Force Space Command and U.S. European Command. Maj. Gen. Burt has commanded the 2nd Space Operations Squadron, the 460th Operations Group and the 50th Space Wing. She is a graduate and former instructor of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and a graduate of the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies. Prior to her current assignment, Maj. Gen. Burt was the Vice Commander, United States Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nevada.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
1995 Master of Science, Human Resources Management, Troy State University, Ala.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, N.C.
2015 Air Force Enterprise Leadership, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
2016 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
1. October 1992–January 1993, Student, Undergraduate Space Training, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
2. January 1993–December 1995, Crew Commander, Deputy Flight Commander, and Chief, Current Operations, 4th Space Warning Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. December 1995–October 1997, Chief, Space Systems Tactical Warning Operations and Chief, Standardization and Training, 76th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
4. October 1997–January 1999, Executive Officer, Space Warfare Center, Schriever AFB, Colo.
5. January 1999–June 1999, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School Space Division, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. June 1999–December 2001, Instructor, Assistant Training Flight Commander, and Training Flight Commander, U.S. Air Force Weapons School Space Division, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. December 2001–July 2004, Theater Missile Defense Operations Officer and Deputy Chief, Special Technical Operations Branch, Headquarters European Command, Patch Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
8. July 2004–June 2005, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2005–June 2006, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2006–July 2008, Chief Combat Plans Division, Joint Space Operations Center, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
11. August 2008–August 2010, Commander, 2nd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
12. August 2010–August 2011, Air Force Space Command Chief, Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Requirements Division, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. August 2011–June 2012, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair Washington, D.C.
14. June 2012–August 2014, Commander, 460th Operations Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
15. August 2014–May 2015, Director, Commander’s Action Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. May 2015–July 2017, Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
17. July 2017–July 2018, Vice Commander, United States Air Force Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
18. July 2018–present, Director of Operations and Communications, Headquarters United States Space Force, Peterson AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. December 2001–July 2004, Theater Missile Defense Operations Officer and Deputy Chief, Special Technical Operations Branch, Headquarters European Command, as a major
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with silver and oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
1999 Distinguished Graduate and Academic Award, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2005 Distinguished Graduate and Commandant’s Leadership Award, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala
2012 Distinguished Graduate, National War College, Fort Lesly J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 13, 1992
First Lieutenant May 13, 1994
Captain May 13, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General Sept. 2, 2017
Major General Aug. 2, 2020
(Current as of August 2020)