The Honorable John W. Henderson is the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Energy. He is responsible for the formulation, review and execution of plans, policies, programs and budgets to meet Air Force installations, energy, environment, safety and occupational health objectives. Mr. Henderson was commissioned in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in May 1994, upon graduation from the South Dakota School of Mines, and retired in the grade of colonel in 2017 after a 23-year career. Mr. Henderson commanded an engineer battalion during operation Enduring Freedom and deployed with the 25th Infantry Division and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during two tours supporting operation Iraqi Freedom. He held multiple command and staff positions throughout his career, to include five assignments with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, culminating as the Omaha District Commander. Mr. Henderson is registered as a licensed professional engineer in the state of South Dakota.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City
2002 Master of Science, Civil Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City
2006 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
2015 National Security Fellowship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. 1995 - 1996, Platoon Leader, 44th Engineer Battalion, 2d Infantry Division, Camp Howze, Republic of Korea
2. 1996 - 1997, Executive Officer, 82d Engineer Company, 2d Infantry Division, Camp Edwards, Republic of Korea
3. 1997 - 1998, Company Commander, Engineer Brigade, 2d Infantry Division, Camp Howze, Republic of Korea
4. 1999 - 2000, Company Commander, Charlie Company, 864th Engineer Battalion, Fort Wainwright, Alaska
5. 2000 - 2001, Aide-De-Camp to U.S. Army Alaska Commanding General, Fort Richardson, Alaska
6. 2001 - 2002, student, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City
7. 2003 - 2004, Hydraulics/Hydrological Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Miss.
8. 2004 - 2004, Operations Officer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Multi-National Forces – Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
9. 2004 - 2005, Resident Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Miss.
10. 2005 - 2005, Deputy District Commander, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Miss.
11. 2006 - 2007, Operations Officer, 25th Infantry Division, Tikrit, Iraq
12. 2007 - 2008, Battalion Executive Officer, 25th Infantry Division, Multi-National Division-North, Tikrit, Iraq
13. 2008 - 2010, Honolulu District Deputy Commander, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
14. 2010 - 2011, Pacific Ocean Division Chief of Staff, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Shafter, Hawaii
15. 2011 - 2013, Battalion Commander (OEF), 864th Engineer Battalion, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
16. 2013 - 2014, Corps Executive Officer, I Corps, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
17. 2015 – 2017, Omaha District Commander, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha, Neb.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit Bronze Star Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal
Combat Action Badge
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Society of American Military Engineers
American Society of Civil Engineers
National Society of Professional Engineers
(Current as of March 2018)