Mr. Robert Unger, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Resources and Analysis, U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. He is the Senior Advisor to the commander, USCENTCOM on all matters related to warfighting analysis, decision support analysis, requirements and capability gaps, budget and resourcing, and science and technology. His team supports the commander’s strategy through war-gaming and modeling while preparing for current and future operational requirements through programming actions and financial management.
Previous SES assignments include duty as the Principal Director for Business Operations at the Defense Security Cooperation Agency where he was responsible for financial policy, acquisition, and financial reporting related to foreign military sales and financing. His initial SES assignment was at the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) where he served as Associate Director for Contingency and International Programs, responsible for collecting, analyzing, and reporting all Overseas Contingency Operations funding for the Department of Defense.
Prior to joining the SES, Mr. Unger served as the Senior Budget Analyst for the Afghanistan Security Forces Fund, and the Department of Defense Trust Fund Manager in support of Afghanistan requirements.
In his military career, Mr. Unger served as an infantry officer at Coleman Barracks, Germany and Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. After company command, he became a financial manager. His financial management assignments include duty as a Resource Management Instructor for the U.S. Army Finance School, a Budget Analyst in the Department of the Army Program Prioritization Office, the Chief of Contingency Budgets Branch for NATO, and the Director of Resource Management for the Southern European Task Force Airborne and the U.S. Army Africa Command. His final military assignment was duty as Chief of Acquisition Integration for the Army Budget Office’s Investment Directorate.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Systems Engineering, United States Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.
2002 Master of Business Administration, Army Comptrollership Program, Syracuse University, N.Y.
1. 1990–1998 Infantry Officer, Coleman Barracks, Germany and Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
2. 1999–2001 Resource Management Instructor, U.S. Army Finance School, Fort Jackson, S.C.
3. 2002–2004 Budget Analyst, Headquarters Department of the Army Program, Washington, D.C.
4. 2004–2007 Chief of the Contingency Budgets Branch (NATO), Naples, Italy
5. 2007–2010 Director of Resource Management for Southern European Task Force Airborne and U.S. Army Africa Command, Vicenza, Italy
6. 2010–2012 Chief of Acquisition Integration for the Army Budget Office’s Investment Directorate, Washington, D.C.
7. 2012–Retired from U.S. Army active duty
8. December 2012–February 2015, Senior Budget Analyst for the Afghanistan Security Forces Fund Program for the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), Washington, D.C.
9. February 2015–January 2017, Associate Director for Contingency and International Programs at the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), Washington, D.C.
10. January 2017–February 2018, Principal Director for Business Operations, Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. February 2018–present, Director, Resources and Analysis, United States Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Exceptional Civilian Service Award
Office of the Secretary of Defense Award for Excellence
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Expert Infantryman Badge
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Association of the United States Army
Department of Defense Financial Management Certification, Level 3
Certified Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of September 2020)