Dr. Mark Mehalic is the Executive Director, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. He is responsible for providing direction in the operational test and evaluation planning, execution and reporting of more than 98 major programs valued at more than $907 billion being assessed at 17 different locations. Dr. Mehalic assists the AFOTEC commander as the senior interface between AFOTEC and major commands, other services, agencies, allied partners, industry and the scientific community.
Dr. Mehalic has had two tours with the Air Force Research Laboratory, working various research and development efforts from digital flight control to integrated air battle planning and execution. Dr. Mehalic was a test engineer with the 3246th Test Wing (forerunner of the 96th Test Wing) at Eglin AFB, Florida, performing electronic warfare effectiveness testing. Dr. Mehalic was an Assistant Professor at the Air Force Institute of Technology, teaching and performing research in the areas of integrated circuit design and communications/electronic warfare. He also served as the Director of Programs and Resources for U.S. Southern Command in Miami, responsible for the programming and execution of all funds. He was Director of Engineering and Technical Management, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, where he was responsible for scientist & engineer workforce development, test and evaluation policy and processes, engineering policy and technical advice to the Center Commander and Program Executive Officer for Strategic Systems. Dr. Mehalic then became the Executive and then Vice Director of the Arnold Engineering Development Complex, Arnold AFB Tennessee, where he was responsible for ground-based testing of aerospace systems.
Dr. Mehalic’s most recent assignment was at Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, as the Deputy Director for Air, Space, and Cyberspace Operations.
1980 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, State College
1983 Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1989 Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
1993 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1997 Education with Industry, Lockheed-Martin Ocean, Radar, & Surveillance Systems
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2001 Defense Systems Management College Advanced Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1. 1980–1982, Electrical Engineer, Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. 1982–1983, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. 1983–1986, Electronic Warfare Test Engineer, 3246th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. 1986–1989, Student, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
5. 1989–1994, Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. 1994–1997, Chief, Command & Control Systems Development & Evaluation, Rome Laboratory, Rome, N.Y.
7. 1997–1999, Deputy Chief, Information Systems Division, Air Force Research Laboratory, Rome, N.Y.
8. 1999–2002, Chief, Armament and Command & Control Test Team, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 2002–2006, Director, Programs and Resources, U.S. Southern Command, Miami
10. 2006–2009, Chief, Capability Planning & Requirements Division, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. 2009–2013, Technical Director, Engineering & Technical Management Directorate, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. 2013–2014, Director, Engineering & Technical Management Directorate, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
13. 2014–2017, Executive Director, Arnold Engineering Development Complex, Arnold AFB, Tenn.
14. 2017–2018, Vice Director, Arnold Engineering Development Complex, Arnold AFB, Tenn.
15. 2018–2020, Deputy Director, Air, Space, and Cyberspace Operations, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
16. 2020–present, Executive Director, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Commendation Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
1980 Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Distinguished Graduate
1992 Air Force Institute of Technology Outstanding Instructor Award
1993 Harrell V. Noble Award, Achievement in Electron Devices, IEEE Dayton Section
(Current as of June 2020)