Brig. Gen. Andrew P. Hansen is the Deputy Chief of Staff Operations at NATO’s Headquarters Allied Air Command, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. General Hansen is responsible for all operational related matters, including Air Policing, Ballistic Missile Defense, Article 5 and crisis response operations. He is also responsible for ensuring Headquarters Allied Air Command is prepared to establish an Air Operations Center if required for an emerging Contingency Operation.
General Hansen entered the Air Force in 1992 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Colorado ROTC program. He earned his navigator wings in 1995 and went on to earn his pilot wings in 1999. The general has held a variety of leadership positions to include the Commander, 18th Aggressor Squadron, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska; Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland; Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB and served as the Commander, 51st FW, Osan AB, South Korea.
Prior to his current assignment, General Hansen was the Director, United States Air Forces in Europe-United Kingdom. As a forward detachment of USAFE, he provided higher headquarters staff support for U.S. Air Force units within the U.K. Additionally, he provided direct support to U.S. European Command, NATO, USAFE and U.S. Government Agencies through planning and partnering with the host nation. Finally, as the USEUCOM’s Country Representative, he led the divisions responsible for enabling international relations, international law, airspace operations, logistics and public affairs staff functions for U.S. military forces based in the U.K.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder
2002 Master of Science, Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2008 Master of Science, Computer Science, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2012 Master of Science, Joint Campaign Planning and Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
1. March 1993 – August 1994, Chief, Operations Section Headquarters Air Force ROTC, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2. August 1994 – March 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. March 1995 – May 1996, Student, Joint Navigator/Electronic Warfare Officer Training, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Fla.
4. May 1996 – January 1997, Student, F-15E Replacement Training Unit, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. January 1997 – July 1998, F-15E Weapon System Officer and Squadron Electronic Warfare Officer, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
6. July 1998 – March 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
7. March 2000 – February 2001, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Az.
8. February 2001 – January 2003, F-16 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 510th FS, Aviano Air Base, Italy
9. January 2003 – May 2006, 57th Wing Chief of Flight Safety/Assistant Operations Officer, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. May 2006 - June 2008, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. June 2008 – July 2009, Operations Officer, 18th AS, Eielson AFB, Alaska
12. July 2009 – July 2011, Commander, 18th AS, Eielson AFB, Alaska
13. July 2011 – June 2012, SDE Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
14. June 2012 – June 2013, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, U.S. Cyber Command, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
15. June 2013 – June 2014, Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
16. June 2014 – June 2015, Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
17. June 2015 – August 2017, Commander, 51st FW, Osan AB, South Korea
18. August 2017 – May 2018, Director, Joint and National Security Council Matters, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
19. May 2018 – March 2019, Director, U.S. Air Forces in Europe-United Kingdom, RAF Mildenhall, U.K..
20. March 2019 – present, Deputy Chief of Staff Operations, Headquarters Allied Air Command, Ramstein AB, Germany.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2012 – June 2013, Deputy Chief, Plans Division, U.S. Cyber Command, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
2. June 2013 - June 2014, Director of Operations, Cyber National Mission Force, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,300
Aircraft Flown: F-15E and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 22, 1993
First Lieutenant Jan. 22, 1995
Captain Jan. 22, 1997
Major June 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
Brigadier General Oct. 2, 2018
(Current as of January 2019)