Maj. Gen. Heather L. Pringle is the Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel Command, Dayton, Ohio. She is responsible for managing a $3 billion Air Force science and technology program and an additional $3 billion in externally funded research and development. She is also responsible for leading a government workforce of approximately 6,500 people in the laboratory's nine component technology directorates, 711th Human Performance Wing, and AFWERX.
Maj. Gen. Pringle received her commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1991. She is experienced in science and technology development, acquisition program management, program and budget analysis, and installation support.
In addition, the general promoted international relationships, interoperable capabilities and sustained engagement with partners in the Middle East and Asia during her tenure as commander of the 555th International Materiel Squadron and while serving in Afghanistan as the Political Advisor’s Staff Director for the International Security Assistance Forces. She also provided direct support to the Air Force Chief of Staff as Executive Officer, assisting him in all official duties and engagements with Congress, allies, the Joint Staff, combatant commands, and other government agencies. Prior to her current assignment, Maj. Gen. Pringle served as the Director of Strategic Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virgina.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Master of Arts, Engineering Psychology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Doctorate of Philosophy, Engineering Psychology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana
2005 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1991–August 1992, Student, Department of Psychology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana
2. September 1992–July 1994, Operations and Control Integration Manager, Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System Program, Electronic Systems Command, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
3. August 1994–June 1995, Executive Officer, 66th Air Base Wing, Electronic Systems Command, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
4. June 1995–July 1997, Instructor/Personnel Officer, Behavioral Sciences and Leadership Department, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
5. August 1997–May 2000, Student, Department of Psychology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana
6. June 2000–July 2003, Assistant Professor/Executive Officer, then Associate Professor/Human Factors Track Chief, Behavioral Sciences and Leadership Department, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
7. July 2003–July 2005, Deputy, later, Chief, Warfighter Training Research Branch, Air Force Research Laboratory, Mesa, Ariz.
8. July 2005–June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2006–July 2007, Israel Country Director/European Command Branch Chief, Middle East/Africa Division, Secretary of the Air Force International Affairs, Rosslyn, Va.
10. August 2007–February 2008, Staff Director, Political Advisor’s Office, Headquarters, International Security Assistance Force, Afghanistan
11. March 2008–August 2008, Iraq Country Director/Assistant Division Chief, Middle East/Africa Division, Secretary of the Air Force International Affairs, Rosslyn, Va.
12. August 2008–July 2010, Commander, 555th International Materiel Squadron, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. August 2010–June 2011, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2011–May 2013, Analysis Branch Chief, later, Deputy Chief, Program and Budget Analysis Division, Joint Staff J-8, Washington, D.C.
15. May 2013–May 2014, Vice Commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
16. May 2014–August 2016, Executive Officer to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. August 2016–June 2018, Commander, 502d Air Base Wing and Joint Base, San Antonio
18. June 2018–June 2019, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs, Requirements and Analyses, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. June 2019–June 2020, Director of Strategic Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
20. June 2020–present, Commander, Air Force Research Laboratory, AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2011–May 2013, Analysis Branch Chief, later, Deputy Chief, Program and Budget Analysis Division, Joint Staff J-8, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major March 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General April 2, 2017
Major General May 7, 2021
(Current as of May 2021)