Brig. Gen. (Dr.) Sharon Bannister is the Deputy Assistant Director, Education and Training, Defense Health Agency, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Virginia. She directs the joint development and sustainment of the Department of Defense medical training initiatives and academic policy, leading 509 staff across two regions with an annual operating budget of $61.5 million. She is directly responsible for the three medical institutes that graduate over 28,000 enlisted medical personnel annually, provide combat trauma and joint medical operations training to over 260K DoD personnel, and provide leadership training opportunities for approximately 10,000 current leaders of military healthcare organizations. Additionally, as the Assistant Surgeon General for Dental Services, the general provides policy and operational advice to the Air Force Surgeon General on matters involving the dental practice of 1,000 dentists and 2,500 technicians.
Prior to this assignment, General Bannister served as the Deputy Program Officer of the Military Health System Program Management Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Virginia. She was charged with leading and coordinating the DoD’s response to all applicable provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2017 within a joint context to drive unprecedented reform to the $52B Defense Health Program while enhancing the DoD’s medical readiness and medically ready force.
1988 Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
1992 Doctor of Dental Surgery, Case Western Reserve School of Dentistry, Cleveland, Ohio
1993 Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1994 Top Drill Air National Guard Operational Dental Upgrade Training, Klamath Falls, Ore.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1996 Company Grade Officer Professional Development Program, Langley AFB, Va.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2002 Periodontal Residency/Masters of Science, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
2002 Diplomate, American Board of Periodontics
2004 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Industrial College of the Armed Forces/Master of Science in National Resource, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Joint Medical Executive Skills CAPSTONE, Arlington, Va.
2012 Fellow, International College of Dentists
2015 Medical Strategic Leadership Program, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
2016 Leadership Development Program Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2016 Fellow, American College of Dentists
1. July 1992 - August 1992, Military Indoctrinated Medical Service Officer, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1992 - August 1993, Advanced Education in General Dentistry Resident, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. August 1993 - May 1995, General Dental Officer, McChord AFB, Wash.
4. May 1995 - May 1996, General Dental Officer, Moody AFB, Ga.
5. May 1996 - May 1998, General Dental Officer, Langley AFB, Va. (May 1997 - October 1997, Acting Deputy Hospital Commander, General Dental Officer, 4409th Air Base Wing, Southwest Asia)
6. May 1998 - May 1999, General Dental Officer, Lajes Field, Azores
7. June 1999 - June 2002, Periodontal Resident, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
8. July 2002 - June 2004, Chief of Periodontics/Deputy Commander Aeromedical Dental Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 2004 - June 2005, Director of Post-Graduate Education/Periodontics Flight, Deputy Commander Education Flight; Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
10. June 2005 - June 2007, Director of Education and Training/Periodontics Flight, Deputy Commander Education Flight; Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. July 2007 - July 2008, Commander, 6th Dental Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
12. August 2008 - June 2009, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2009 - April 2012, Commander, 436th Medical Group, Dover AFB, Del. (November 2010 - May 2011, Commander, 376th Expeditionary Medical Group, Southwest Asia)
14. April 2012 - June 2013, Director, Dental Programs and Resources, Air Force Surgeon General, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va.
15. June 2013 - July 2014, Special Assistant to the Surgeon General for Military Health System Governance, AF/SG, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va.
16. July 2014 - July 2015, Deputy Command Surgeon, Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
17. July 2015 - June 2017, Commander, 79th Medical Wing, JB Andrews, Md.
18. June 2017 - May 2018, Program Officer of the Military Health System Program Management Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, Defense Health Headquarters, Falls Church, Va.
19. June 2018 – present, Deputy Assistant Director, Education and Training/J7, Defense Health Agency and Assistant Surgeon General for Dental Services, AF/SG, Falls Church, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Gold Star Lapel Button
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain May 24,1992
Major May 24, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel May 30, 2003
Colonel May 27, 2007
Brigadier General July 3, 2018
(Current as of August 2018)