Brig. Gen. Michael A. Greiner is the Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the Commander’s Chief Financial Officer, he is responsible for more than 35% of the Air Force appropriated budget. This includes the financial planning and fiscal execution of the Air Force’s research, development, test, acquisition and sustainment programs. He serves as principal financial adviser to the Air Force Materiel Command Commander, and as such, is responsible for command policies regarding Chief Financial Officer Act compliance. He is responsible for identifying funding requirements; building the command’s budgets; administering the Air Force Working Capital Fund; executing Air Force Materiel Command’s annual budget program of the $60 billion and providing military, civilian and contractor pay service to 89,000 personnel. He also oversees 3,000 professional financial managers providing vital services supporting the command’s units worldwide, including 10 major bases.
Brig. Gen. Greiner received his commission from the Air Force Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program at the University of Portland as a distinguished graduate. He is also a distinguished graduate of the Air Force Institute of Technology. He has served in operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Unified Response and Freedom’s Sentinel.
Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Greiner served as the Director, Budget Operations and Personnel, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Budget.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Physics, University of Portland, Portland, Ore.
1996 Master of Science, Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Doctor of Philosophy, Industrial Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, Union Pacific Railroad, Omaha, Neb.
2012 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2013 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
2018 Senior International Defense Management Course, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. October 1992—December 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 7th Flying Training Squadron, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. January 1993—April 1995, Environmental Project Engineer, 554th Range Squadron, United States Air Force Weapons and Tactics Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
3. May 1995—September 1996, Student, Graduate Cost Analysis Program, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. October 1996—July 1998, Weapon Systems Cost Analyst, Joint STARS Joint Program Office, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
5. August 1998—August 2001, Industrial Engineering Doctorate Program, Arizona State University, Tempe
6. September 2001—May 2004, Director, Graduate Cost Analysis Program, Assistant Professor of Cost Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. June 2004—March 2006, Commander, 47th Comptroller Squadron, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas (September 2004—January 2005, Deputy Comptroller, Multi-National Corps, Iraq)
8. April 2006—August 2006, Comptroller and Director J8, Joint Task Force-Guantanamo, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
9. October 2006—October 2007, Executive Officer, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Cost and Economics, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. October 2007—August 2008, Chief, Data and Emerging Systems Division, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. September 2008—June 2010, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. (February 2010—April 2010, Comptroller and Director J8, Joint Task Force-Haiti, Port au Prince, Haiti)
12. June 2010—June 2011, Chief, Financial Analysis Division, Headquarters Air Education & Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
13. July 2011—June 2012, Fellow, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship Program, Union Pacific Railroad, Omaha, Neb.
14. July 2012—July 2014, Commander, 97th Mission Support Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
15. July 2014—June 2016, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
16. July 2016—May 2017, Director, Budget Programs, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. May 2017—July 2018, Senior Military Assistant, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Financial Management and Comptroller, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. July 2018—September 2019, Director, Cost Analysis and Policy Integration, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Cost and Economics, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. September 2019—July 2020, Director, Budget Operations and Personnel, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force Budget, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. July 2020—present, Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 12, 1992
First Lieutenant May 12, 1994
Captain May 12, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General July 3, 2018
(Current as of January 2021)