Jeffrey P. Luster, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy General Counsel for Installations, Energy and Environment, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C. He leads the Installations, Energy and Environmental Law Division. The Division provides legal and policy advice for virtually all matters related to the Air Force's 175 installations; 9 million acres of real estate; military privatized housing program; installation and operational energy program; annual multi-billion dollar military construction program; and programs for environmental planning, compliance, and restoration and natural and cultural resources management.
Prior to his Air Force civilian career, Mr. Luster was a member of the Navy Office of the General Counsel since 2012, most recently serving as the Acting Assistant General Counsel for Energy, Installations and Environment. Mr. Luster served on active duty as a U.S. Navy Judge Advocate from 1988 until his retirement with the rank of captain in 2012. At that time, he was detailed to the White House Council on Environmental Quality as an Ocean Policy Advisor to the National Ocean Council. Mr. Luster’s former key positions include Navy Deputy Assistant General Counsel (Energy, Installations and Environment); Counsel, Joint Guam Program Office; Navy Deputy Assistant Judge Advocate General for Environmental Law; Senior Counsel for Fleet and Operational Environmental Law; and Senior Environmental Counsel, U.S. Pacific Fleet. Earlier assignments included service as an Environmental Trial Attorney in the Naval Litigation Office and the senior Staff Judge Advocate on board the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70).
Mr. Luster has published articles on the international protection of endangered marine species, the transboundary movement of hazardous waste, and the national security implications of climate change.
1984 Summa cum laude, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
1987 Juris Doctor, University of New Mexico School of Law, Albuquerque
2000 Master of Laws, International Environmental Law, The George Washington University School of Law, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1985–September 1988, Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps Student Accessions Program, various locations
2. September 1988–May 1991, Senior Defense Counsel, Naval Legal Service Office, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
3. May 1991–June 1994, Head, Procedure Division, Naval Justice School, Newport, R.I.
4. June 1994–July 1996, Staff Judge Advocate, USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70)
5. July 1996–August 1998, Detailer and New Accessions Officer, Navy Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1998–June 1999, Student, Navy JAG Corps Post-Graduate Legal Education Program, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1999–July 2001, Environmental Trial Attorney, Naval Litigation Office, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2001–January 2004, Senior Environmental Counsel, U.S. Pacific Fleet, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
9. January 2004–May 2010, Navy Deputy Assistant Judge Advocate General (Environmental Law), Washington, D.C.
10. January 2004–October 2008, Senior Counsel (Fleet & Operational Environmental Law)(concurrent assignment), Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Installations, Energy and Environment), Washington, D.C.
11. May 2010–September 2012, Ocean Policy Advisor, National Ocean Council, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
12. September 2012–June 2014, Counsel, Joint Guam Program Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Installations, Energy and Environment), Washington, D.C.
13. June 2014–May 2018, Navy Deputy Assistant General Counsel (Energy, Installations and Environment), Washington, D.C.
14. April 2018-present, Navy Acting Assistant General Counsel (Energy, Installations and Environment), Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND PERSONAL DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Medal
Air Force Exemplary Civilian Service Medal
Navy Distinguished Civilian Service Medal
Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two gold stars
Navy-Marine Corps Meritorious Service Medal with two gold stars
Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal with two gold stars
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration General Counsel’s Award
Certificate of Commendation, U.S. Assistant Attorney General, Environment & Natural Resources Division
Richard W. Eddy Award for Outstanding Environmental Litigation Support, Naval Litigation Office
New York City Bar Association’s Award for Outstanding Trial Advocacy
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
U.S. Supreme Court
State Bar of New Mexico
Phi Beta Kappa
(Current as of April 2021)