Brig. Gen. Michael E. Martin is the Director of Operations, Headquarters, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Florida. He is responsible for implementing and directing operational command policy for AFSOC’s worldwide special operations units including 20,800 personnel, approximately 300 aircraft and $17 billion in assets.
Brig. Gen. Martin graduated from Texas A&M University and received his commission into the Air Force in December 1992. He began his career as an Air Traffic Control Officer and was later accepted into the Combat Control career field. Brig. Gen. Martin has spent his career in special operations, the air staff, joint combat assignments, as well as numerous combat deployments.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. May 1985–May 1986, Student, Electronic Warfare Technician, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2. June 1986–May 1987, Technician, 51st Component Repair Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. June 1987–July 1989, Technician, 81st Aircraft Generation Squadron, RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdom
4. November 1993–February 1994, Student, Air Traffic Control, Keesler AFB, Miss.
5. March 1994–June 1995, Student, 20th Operations Support Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. June 1995–July 1997, Flight Commander, 47th Operations Support Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
7. August 1997–July 1998, Deputy Chief, Airspace & Air Traffic Control, Sixteenth Air Force, Aviano AB, Italy
8. August 1998–December 1999, Student, Combat Control pipeline training, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. December 1999–September 2001, Flight Commander, 21st Special Tactics Squadron, Pope Army Airfield, N.C.
10. September 2001–February 2004, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 720th Special Tactics Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. February 2004–July 2006, Director of Operations, 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Pope AAF, N.C.
12. July 2006–June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2007–July 2009, Commander, 21st Special Tactics Squadron, Pope AAF, N.C.
14. August 2009–July 2010, Chief, Checkmate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. August 2010–June 2011, Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2011–June 2012, Deputy Commander, 724th Special Tactics Group, Pope AAF, N.C.
17. June 2012–July 2014, Commander, 724th Special Tactics Group, Pope AAF, N.C.
18. July 2014–July 2016, Deputy Commander, Special Operations Command Africa, Stuttgart, Germany
19. July 2016–March 2018, Commander, 24th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
20. March 2018–April 2019, Director, Air Force Resilience, Sexual Assault Prevention and Response and Suicide Prevention Office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
21. April 2019–May 2020, Deputy Commanding General, NATO Special Operations Component Command and Special Operations Joint Task Force-Afghanistan
22. May 2020–present, Director of Operations, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014–July 2016, Deputy Commander, Special Operations Command-Africa, Stuttgart, Germany, as a colonel
2. April 2019–May 2020, Deputy Commanding General, NATO Special Operations Component Command and Special Operations Joint Task Force-Afghanistan, as a brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Distinguished Presidential Unit Citation
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 8, 1993
First Lieutenant June 8, 1995
Captain June 8, 1997
Major Nov. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel July 1, 2012
Brigadier General Aug. 3, 2018
(Current as of May 2020)