Brig. Gen. Susan J. Pietrykowski is the Director, Manpower, Personnel and Resources, and Chief of the Medical Service Corps, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Falls Church, Virginia. As Director of Manpower, Personnel and Resources, she advises the Air Force Surgeon General on all aspects of planning, programming, budgeting, and execution for a $42 billion Defense Health Program portfolio, and a $6.2 billion annual budget supporting 2.6 million patients and 76 military treatment facilities worldwide. She is also responsible for personnel policy, force development, and staffing requirements for 43,000 active-duty officer, enlisted and civilian personnel, and is responsible for all Air Force medical education and training worldwide. As the Medical Service Corps Chief, General Pietrykowski is the senior healthcare administrator in the Air Force and responsible for accessions, development, and management of 1,800 active duty, Guard, and Reserve healthcare administrative professionals in the corps.
General Pietrykowski earned her commission in 1993 through the Air Force ROTC at the University of Portland, Oregon, where she received a degree in mathematics, with minors in business and Spanish. She has served in a variety of MTF and staff positions, including Commander, 633rd Medical Group, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia; Commander, 28th Medical Group, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota; Commander, 779th Medical Support Squadron, Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland; and Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Medical Support Squadron, and Administrator, 332nd Expeditionary Medical Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq. Prior to her current position, General Pietrykowski was the Deputy Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia.
Brig Gen Pietrykowski is a 2011 graduate of the National War College and a 2006 graduate of the Air Command and Staff College. She is board certified as a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives.
1993 Bachelor of Arts, mathematics (minors: business, Spanish), University of Portland, Ore.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Master of Business Administration, University of Utah
1. November 1993 - May 1995, Officer In Charge, Medical Readiness, 70th Medical Squadron, Brooks AFB, Texas
2. May 1995 - April 1996, Executive Office/Resource Manager, Medical Service Officer Management Division, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. April 1996 - July 1999, Resource Management Flight Commander; Officer in Charge, TRICARE, 48th Medical Group, RAF Lakenheath, England
4. July 1999 - May 2001, AFIT-sponsored MBA Student, University of Utah
5. May 2001 - October 2002, Business Operations and Beneficiary Services Flight Commander, 75th Medical Group, Hill AFB, Utah
6. October 2002 - July 2005, Family Practice Flight Commander/Senior Group Practice Manager, 56th Medical Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. July 2005 - June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2006 - June 2007, Medical Program Analyst, AF/A8PL, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. June 2007 - July 2008, Executive Officer to AF/A8, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. July 2008 - August 2010, 779th Medical Support Squadron Commander, Malcolm Grow Medical Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md. (January 2010 – July 2010, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Medical Group, Balad, Iraq)
11. August 2010 - June 2011, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
12. June 2011 - June 2012, Chief, Medical Programming Division, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, AF/SG8P, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. June 2012 - July 2015, Commander, 28th Medical Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
14. July 2015 - August 2017, Commander, 633rd Medical Group, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
15. August 2017 - August 2018, Deputy Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
16. August 2018 - present, Director, Manpower, Personnel and Resources, and Chief, Medical Service Corps, Office of the Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Iraq Campaign Medal
1993 Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps
1995 Brooks Air Force Base Ambassador
1998 U.S. Air Forces in Europe Medical Resource Management Team of the Year
1998 U.S. Air Forces in Europe Young Healthcare Administrator of the Year
1998 Air Force Medical Resource Management Officer of the Year
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School
2001 Valedictorian, University of Utah MBA (AFIT-sponsored)
2009 MSC Commitment to Service Corps Chief Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 11, 1993
First Lieutenant August 11, 1995
Captain August 11, 1997
Major November 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2006
Colonel June 1, 2012
Brigadier General June 2, 2018
(Current as of August 2018)