Brig. Gen. Douglas A. Schiess is the Director, Space and Cyber Operations, Headquarters Space Operations Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.
Brig. Gen. Schiess provides policy, guidance, and advocates for resources for Space Operations Command’s space and cyber forces. The command is responsible for the preparation, generation and sustainment of combat-ready intelligence, cyber, space and combat support forces. Mission areas include orbital warfare, space electronic warfare, space battle management, space access and sustainment, and cyber operations.
Brig. Gen. Schiess entered the Air Force as a Distinguished Graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of California at Los Angeles in 1992. He has commanded the 4th Space Operations Squadron at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado; the 45th Operations Group at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida; the 21st Space Wing at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado; and the 45th Space Wing at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. He deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, in support of operations Enduring Freedom, Resolute Support, and Inherent Resolve. His staff assignments include Headquarters Air Force Space Command, the Air Staff and Office of the Secretary of the Air Force. Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Schiess was the Commander of the 45th Space Wing.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Physics, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
1996 Master of Science, Human Resources Management, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Master of Science, Space Systems, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Master of Arts, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Director of Space Forces Course, Advanced Space Operations School, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2015 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2018 National and International Security Leadership Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2019 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1993–April 1993, Student, Undergraduate Missile Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. April 1993–September 1995, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Crew Commander, Deputy Flight Commander, Instructor and ICBM Deputy Crew Commander, 446th Missile Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
3. September 1995–March 1997, Senior Evaluator and ICBM Crew Commander Evaluator, Standardization and Evaluation Division, 321st Missile Group, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
4. March 1997–July 1998, Chief of Training, Launch Crew Commander and Launch Controller, 2nd Space Launch Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. July 1998–June 2000, Air Force Intern Program with duties in Personnel Force Management Directorate, Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel and the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Programs), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2000–July 2001, Global Positioning System Crew Commander and Satellite Vehicle Operator, 2nd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. July 2001–August 2002, Executive Officer to the Wing Commander, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colo.
8. August 2002–August 2003, Command Lead, Space Professional Development, Vice Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. August 2003–June 2004, Intermediate Development Education Student, Air Force Institute of Technology,
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 2004–July 2005, Chief, Military Satellite Communications Operations Branch, Space Operations Division, Directorate of Strategic Security, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2005–July 2007, Chief, Space and Missile Programs, Weapon Systems Division, Legislative Liaison, Office of
the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. July 2007–June 2009, Operations Officer, 2nd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
13. June 2009–June 2011, Commander, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
14. July 2011–July 2012, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2012 – April 2014, Commander, 45th Operations Group, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
16. April 2014–April 2015, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, United States Central
Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
17. June 2015–July 2017, Commander, 21st Space Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. July 2017–August 2018, Senior Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of the Air Force, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
19. August 2018–December 2020, Commander, 45th Space Wing; and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick AFB, Fla.
20. December 2020–present, Director, Space and Cyber Operations, Headquarters Space Operations Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2014–April 2015, Director of Space Forces, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, United States Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as a colonel
Badges: Command Space Operations Badge and Basic Missile Operations Badge
Systems: Minuteman III Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, Delta II Launch Vehicle, Global Positioning System, Milstar Satellite Communications System and the Eastern Range.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Reserve Officer Training Corps
1993 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Missile Training
1997 Outstanding Contributor, Squadron Officer School
2000 Distinguished Graduate, GPS Initial Qualification Training
2007 John J. Welch Air Force Award for Excellence in Acquisition Leadership
2009 Academic Achievement Award, Milstar Initial Qualification Training
2017 Air Force Space Command General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 27, 1992
First Lieutenant Sept. 30, 1994
Captain Sept. 30, 1996
Major April 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel June 1, 2012
Brigadier General Aug. 3, 2018
(Current as of December 2020)