Mr. Timothy Sakulich, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the Principal Assistant to the Commander and the Senior Civilian Executive responsible for managing the Air Force's $3 billion science and technology program along with an additional $3 billion of externally funded research and development. He serves a government workforce of approximately 6,500 people in the laboratory's nine component technology directorates, 711th Human Performance Wing, and AFWERX.
Mr. Sakulich began his Air Force career in 1984 as a Distinguished Graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Upon commissioning, he was awarded a scholarship to attend graduate school at North Carolina State University where he received a Master of Science degree in applied mathematics. He has held diverse technical and leadership positions, including those in operations research, logistics, international security cooperation, science and technology and programs and resources. During the course of his active-duty career, Mr. Sakulich served in assignments at base level, an air logistics center, research laboratory, two major command headquarters, a combatant command headquarters, a defense agency and the Joint Staff.
Mr. Sakulich entered federal civilian service in 2010 as Chief of the Strategic Planning and Transformation Office for the Air Force Research Laboratory 711th Human Performance Wing. In 2012, he was selected as the wing’s first civilian Vice Director and promoted to the grade of Senior Scientific and Technical Manager in May 2017. From March 2018 to July 2018, he served as the Acting Director of the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate. In October 2018 he was appointed to the Senior Executive Service.
1984 Distinguished Graduate with Honors, Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1986 Master of Science, Applied Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
1987 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 National Defense Fellow, Institute for Defense Analysis, Alexandria, Va.
2005 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. August 1984–December 1985, Graduate Student, Air Force Institute of Technology Civilian Institution Program, North Carolina State University, Raleigh
2. January 1986–July 1989, Logistics Operations Research Analyst and Chief, Materiel Analysis Branch, Deputy Chief of Staff for Materiel Management, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
3. July 1989–November 1989, Aide to the Commander, Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. December 1989–December 1992, Chief, Technology Repair Liaison Unit and Chief, Aircraft Liaison Unit, Directorate of Distribution, San Antonio Air Logistics Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
5. December 1992–July 1995, Exchange Officer with the Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Stanbridge and Royal Air Force, Wyton, United Kingdom
6. August 1995–June 1996, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1996–August 1998, Chief, Joint Operations Division, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. August 1998–July 2000, Chief, Collaborative Analysis Branch, Directorate for Force Structure, Resources and Assessment (J-8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. July 2000–July 2001, National Defense Fellow, Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, Va.
10. July 2001–June 2003, Country Program Director, Defense Security Cooperation Agency, Arlington, Va.
11. July 2003–September 2004, Deputy Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. October 2004–August 2005, Director, Acquisition Excellence Office, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. September 2005–June 2006, Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. July 2006–May 2007, Director, Programs and Resources, Headquarters United States Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
15. May 2007–May 2008, Commander, 8th Mission Support Group, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
16. July 2008–July 2009, Chief, Acquisition Transformation, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. July 2009–July 2010, Inspector General, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
18. November 2010–June 2012, Chief, Strategic Planning and Transformation Office, 711th Human Performance Wing, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. June 2012–August 2015, Vice Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
20. August 2015–November 2015, Acting Director, Information Directorate, AFRL, Rome, N.Y.
21. November 2015–March 2018, Vice Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
22. March 2018–July 2018, Acting Director, Information Directorate, AFRL, Rome, N.Y.
23. August 2018–September 2018, Vice Director, 711th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
24. October 2018–April 2021, Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
25. April 2021–present, Executive Director, AFRL, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award (2016, 2018, 2020)
Air Force Civilian Achievement Award
Defense Superior Service Medal Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal Joint Service Achievement Medal
(Current as of April 2021)