Maj. Gen. David W. Smith is the Director, Air Force Reserve Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for planning and programming a force of more than 70,000 personnel and the flying hours for 17 types of aircraft in combat air forces; mobility air forces; intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance; tankers; training; weather reconnaissance and special operations. Plans, Programs and Requirements analyzes a $110 billion-per-year program that recommends and presents options to senior leaders and is the Air Force Reserve conduit for coordinating change with the Chief of the Air Force Reserve to meet the needs of the Air Force. He is a joint qualified officer who has served at the combatant command level and the Department of the Air Force level.
Maj. Gen. Smith earned his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1992. He is a combat-proven Command Pilot who has deployed in support of operations Enduring Freedom, three tours supporting Iraqi Freedom, Allied Force, Northern Watch, Southern Watch and Noble Eagle.
The general joined the Air Force Reserve in 2002. Prior to his current position, Brig. Gen. Smith was previously the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Ninth Air Force (Air Forces Central), Southwest Asia.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Social Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Strategic Studies, Air University, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 NATO Senior Officer Policy Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2017 NATO Senior Reserve Officer Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2019 Seminar XXI, Center for International Studies, Massachusetts Institute for Technology, Washington, D.C.
2020 Combined Forces Air Component Commander Course (CFACC), LeMay Center, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. May 1992–May 1993, Instructor, Athletic Department, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. May 1993–May 1994, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
3. May 1994–May 1997, Standardization and Evaluations Pilot, KC-135R/T, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
4. May 1997–June 1998, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. June 1998–May 2001, Flight Commander, 78th Fighter Squadron, F-16CJ, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. May 2001–December 2002, Special Assistant to Commander, T-38C/AT-38B, IFF IP, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. December 2002–September 2006, Chief of Scheduling and Plans, F-16C+ IP, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
8. September 2006–September 2008, Assistant Director of Operations, 93rd FS, Homestead ARB, Fla.
9. September 2008–July 2010, Commander, 93rd FS, Homestead ARB, Fla.
10. July 2010–July 2011, Student SDE In-Residence, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2011–April 2013, Air Domain Chief, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. May 2013--October 2013, Deputy Command Center Director, NORAD, Peterson AFB, Colo.
13. October 2013–June 2014, Deputy Commander, 451st Air Expeditionary Group, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
14. June 2014–November 2015, Commander, 482nd Operations Group, Homestead ARB, Fla.
15. November 2015–April 2018, Commander, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
16. April 2018–March 2020, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Operational Capability Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. March 2020– April 2022, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Ninth Air Force (Air Forces Central), Southwest Asia
18. April 2022–present, Director, Air Force Reserve Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2011–April 2013, Air Domain Chief, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., as a lieutenant colonel
2. April 2013–October 2013, Deputy Command Center Director, NORAD, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot, instructor pilot
Flying hours: more than 4,000
Combat hours: more than 700
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, KC-135R/T, F-16CJ, AT-38B, T-38C, F-16C+, MC-12W, F-16CM and F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Kosovo Campaign Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with three ‘M’ devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Dec. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2, 2007
Colonel Nov. 1, 2012
Brigadier General Dec. 12, 2018
Major General Aug. 1, 2022
(Current as of September 2022)