Maj. Gen. Michele C. Edmondson is the Commandant of Cadets, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. She commands the 4,300-member Cadet Wing and more than 200 Air Force and civilian personnel. She guides military, leadership, and character development, Basic Cadet Training, and Expeditionary Skills Training for the Air Force Cadet Wing, in addition to providing facilities and logistical support.
Maj. Gen. Edmondson entered the Air Force in 1993 as a graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at the University of Florida. She has served in a variety of space operations, acquisition and staff assignments associated with space based missile warning; intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; and communication systems at the unit, national, Air Staff and Joint Staff levels. Maj. Gen. Edmondson has commanded a space operations squadron, a space and missile training group, Air Force Basic Military Training and a technical training wing.
Prior to her current assignment, she served as the director of Space Policy, National Security Council, for the Executive Office of the President.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
1998 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2004 Master of Science, National Security Affairs and Naval War College, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February1993–May 1993, Student, Undergraduate Space Training, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
2. June 1993–October 1993, Student, Honor Graduate, Satellite Operations Crew Commander Training, 1013th Crew Training Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
3. October 1993–July 1995, Crew Commander, Deputy Chief of Training, Deputy Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 2nd Space Warning Squadron, Buckley Air National Guard Base, Colo.
4. August 1995–December 1996, Chief, Space Warning and Control Element and Instructor, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training, 392nd Training Squadron, 381st Training Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
5. December 1996–November 1997, Chief, Defense Support Program Data System Supervisor Training Section, 533rd Training Squadron, 381st Training Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. November 1997–June 1998, Executive Officer, 381st Training Group, Air Education and Training Command, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
7. July 1998–June 2000, Air Force Intern, Politico-Military Planner, Deputy Director for Politico-Military Affairs-Europe, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, J-5, The Joint Staff and Directorate of Plans, Programs, and Budget, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. July 2000–May 2003, Chief, Space Tactics Development Branch, Chief Operational Performance Evaluation Division, and Chief of Staff, Signals Intelligence Applications and Integration Office, Office of Space & Technology, Assistant SECAF (Space) with duty at the National Reconnaissance Office, Washington D.C.
9. June 2003–August 2005, Student, Intermediate Development Education, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
10. September 2005–May 2007, Chief, Southwest Asia Campaign Analysis Branch and Deputy Chief, Current Operations Analysis Division, Directorate of Studies, Analysis and Assessments, and Lessons Learned (A9), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2007–June 2009, Commander, 2nd Space Warning Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
12. July 2009–May 2010, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. June 2010–June 2012, Chief, Space, Spectrum, Transport Division, Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Directorate (J6), the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2012–May 2014, Commander, 381st Training Group, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
15. June 2014–May 2015, Commander, 737th Training Group, Air Force Basic Military Training, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
16. June 2015–June 2017, Commander, 81st Training Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
17. June 2017–August 2018, Senior Executive Officer to the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. August 2018–May 2019, Director, Space Policy, National Security Council, Executive Office of the President, Washington, D.C.
19. May 2019–present, Commandant of Cadets, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 2, 1992
First Lieutenant Sept. 9, 1994
Captain Sept. 9, 1996
Major March 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel May 1, 2012
Brigadier General Aug. 3, 2018
Major General Sept 2, 2020
(Current as of September 2020)