Maj. Gen. David A. Harris is the Director, Integration and Innovation, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. In this position, he leads advanced efforts for future force design, data analytics, capability development integration, innovative solutions and disruptive technology, and Headquarters Air Force wargaming across the total force for multi-domain concepts. Air Force Futures (HAF A5/7) identifies prioritized ways and means to guide resourcing priorities, improving Air Force lethality and enhancing the joint and coalition fight.
Maj. Gen. Harris received his commission from the University of Alabama in 1993. He is a master navigator and basic parachutist with 2,500 flying hours. Maj. Gen. Harris has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level, and served as the Vice Superintendent at the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the Deputy Director of Operations for Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Prior to his current position, Maj. Gen. Harris was the Director, Strategic Plans, Programs and Requirements, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Florida.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
2001 Master of Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2006 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2007 Master of Military Art and Science, School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2014 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2018 National Security Fellow, National Security Management Course, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2020 Data Science for Data Leadership, Arlington, Va.
2021 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. March 1994–May 1994, Student, Undergraduate Space Training, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
2. May 1994–October 1994, Defense Support Program Systems Engineer, 1st Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
3. November 1994–October 1995, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. October 1995–May 1999, Instructor Navigator AC-130U, 4th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. June 1999–May 2001, Student, Air Force Intern Program, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
6. June 2001–January 2002, Student, MC-130H Initial Navigator Qualification, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
7. February 2002–January 2004, Chief, Squadron Standards and Evaluations, 7th Special Operations Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. February 2004–June 2005, Evaluator Navigator MC-130H, Chief of Group Information Office, 352nd Special Operations Group, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
9. June 2005–May 2006, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. June 2006–May 2007, Student, School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
11. June 2007–May 2009, Director of Operations, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. June 2009–June 2010, Commander, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
13. July 2010–July 2012, Deputy Director of Operations, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
14. July 2012–June 2013, Commander, 449th Air Expeditionary Group, Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti
15. June 2013–June 2014, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2014–June 2015, Senior Analyst, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. June 2015–July 2016, Commander, 1st Expeditionary Special Operations Wing, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
18. July 2016–July 2018, Vice Superintendent, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
19. July 2018–May 2020, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs, and Requirements, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
20. May 2020–present, Director, Integration and Innovation Center, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategy, Integration and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2010–July 2012, Deputy Director of Operations, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C. as a colonel
2. June 2014–June 2015, Senior Analyst, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a colonel
Rating: master navigator and basic parachutist
Flight hours: more than 2,500 including more than 247 combat hours
Aircraft flown: AC-130U, MC-130H, HC-130P/N and C-130E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with “V” device
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1993
First Lieutenant June 1, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major June 2, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 2, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General July 13, 2018
Major General May 7, 2021
(Current as of July 2021)