Wanda T. Jones-Heath, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Principal Cyber Advisor for the Department of the Air Force, comprised of the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force. As the Principal Cyber Advisor for the DAF, her duties include synchronizing, coordinating and overseeing the implementation of the DAF Cyber Strategy and advising the Secretary of the Air Force on all cyber programs. She is responsible for overseeing cyberspace recruitment; resourcing and training of cyber mission forces, as well as assessing their readiness; overseeing acquisition; advocate for cyber investments; cybersecurity supply chain risk management; security of information systems and weapon systems.
Prior to her current position, Ms. Jones-Heath served as the Chief Information Security Officer and advised the Chief Information Officer on cybersecurity policy, cybersecurity programs, and cyber force development. She leads a directorate comprised of military, civilian, and contractor personnel responsible for developing cybersecurity policy and strategy for over 5,000 Air Force information technology systems. She oversees risk management and cybersecurity accountability for information systems, weapon systems, and operational technology supporting military cyberspace operations. Her portfolio includes policy governing the defense industrial base, supply chain risk management, and cybersecurity capabilities. She has oversight for the Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act laws, and cryptographic modernization supporting cyber operations.
Since entering civil service, Ms. Jones-Heath has held technical and leadership positions performing cyber operations and cybersecurity duties in communications units from the squadron to the wing level and she has served in headquarters units at the major command, agency, and Air Staff level. Her experience includes extensive joint and interagency work along with cross functional assignments with duties such as testing, assessments, lessons learned management, strategy development and other functions in organizations both within and outside of the communications field.
Ms. Jones-Heath graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1990 with a degree in Computer Science. She began her Civil Service career as a Palace Acquire Intern, Information Systems Specialist, in various functional areas. She moved to Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, in 1993. There, she held positions responsible for policy and guidance for security and network systems. Prior to arriving at the Headquarters Air Force staff, Ms. Jones-Heath was the Program Manager for Mobility with the Defense Information Systems Agency. Ms. Jones-Heath led the effort to establish a Department of Defense Mobile capability to include infrastructure.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of South Carolina, Columbia
1994 Master of Science, Management, Troy University, Fort Lee, Va.
2001 Executive Leadership and Development Program
2004 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
2006 Defense Leadership and Management Program
2007 Center for Creative Leadership
2008 Chief of Staff Air Force Fellows
2008 Acquisition Leadership Challenge Program-II, Office of Personnel Management
2008 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2008 Air Force Civilian Strategic Leadership Program
2009 Harvard Senior Executive Fellows, Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2009 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, Kenan-Flagler, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2010 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century Senior Leadership Course
2011 Capitol Hill Workshop
2014 Critical Infrastructure Protection
2015 Cyberspace Strategy and Policy
2016 Cyber Intelligence
2017 International Perspectives in Cyberspace
2020 Strategic Change & National Priorities, Federal Executive Institute
1. May 1990–July 1993, Information Systems Management Specialist (Palace Acquire), Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
2. July 1993–December 1994, Computer Security Manager, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
3. December 1994–January 1996, Network Program Manager, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
4. January 1996–January 1999, Chief, Theater Systems, United States Air Forces Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
5. January 1999–May 2000, Chief, Integration and Testing, United States Air Forces Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. May 2000–September 2001, Deputy Commander, 11th Communications Squadron, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
7. September 2001–August 2003, Chief, Enterprise Division, Air Force Chief Information Office, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. August 2003–June 2004, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2004–May 2007, Director of Staff, 96th Air Base Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
10. May 2007–May 2010, Director, Analyses, Assessment, and Lessons Learned, Air Force District of Washington, Andrews AFB, Md.
11. May 2010–May 2012, Director, Net-Centric Operations, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. May 2012–May 2014, Program Manager for Mobility, Defense Information Systems Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
13. May 2014–June 2018, Deputy Chief Information Security Officer/Chief, Cybersecurity Division, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2018–March 2019, Acting Chief Information Security Officer, Office of the Deputy Chief Information Officer, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. March 2019–July 2021, Chief Information Security Officer, Deputy Chief Information Officer, Acting Principal Cyber Advisor (December 2020–July 2021), the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. August 2021–present, Principal Cyber Advisor, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
FCW Fed100 Award
Stars and Stripes STEM Award
FedScoop Top 50: Cybersecurity Leader of the Year
FedScoop: Best Bosses in Fed Information Technology
National Diversity Council: Top 50 Women in Technology
AFA General George C. Kenny Award for Lessons Learned
Air Force Meritorious and Exemplary Civilian Service Awards
E-Government Trailblazer Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Air Force Communications and Electronics Association
Air Force Board for Corrections of Military Records
Presidential Management Fellows Program Assessor
Certified Information Systems Manager
Program Management, Level I, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Chief Information Officer
(Current as of September 2021)