Brig. Gen. Paul J. Murray is the Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. As the Deputy Director, he is responsible for supporting the execution of aerospace warning, aerospace control and maritime warning for North America to include the Canadian, Alaskan and continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command Regions within the bi-national command.
Brig. Gen. Murray earned a Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering and his commission from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, in 1994. He is a command pilot with more than 2,500 fighter hours in the F-16 Fighting Falcon, to include more than 580 combat hours. He has commanded at the flight, squadron, group and wing levels. Additionally, he has served staff assignments on the Joint Staff and at Air Combat Command.
Prior to his current assignment, Brig. Gen. Murray served as the Inspector General, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Master of National Security Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2016 Master of National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1994–January 1995, Student, Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. January 1995–October 1996, F-16 Student Pilot, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. October 1996–July 1999, F-16 Flight Lead, 524th Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
4. July 1999–June 2001, F-16 Instructor Pilot, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
5. June 2001–November 2003, Air Liaison Officer and Flight Commander, 19th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Campbell, Ky.
6. November 2003–July 2006, Flight Commander and Chief, Wing Standardization and Evaluation, Aviano AB, Italy
7. July 2006–June 2007, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
8. June 2007–August 2009, Deputy U.S. Pacific Command Division Chief, Joint Operations Division, Joint Staff J-3, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. August 2009–March 2011, Director of Operations, 52nd Operations Support Squadron, as well as the 22nd, 23rd and 480th Fighter Squadrons, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
10. March 2011–June 2012, Commander, 480th Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
11. June 2012–July 2013, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
12. July 2013–June 2015, Commander, 20th Operations Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
13. June 2015–June 2016 Student, National War College, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2016–May 2018, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. June 2018–June 2019, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
16. July 2019–July 2021, Inspector General, ACC, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
17. July 2021–present, Deputy Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2007–August 2009, Deputy U.S. Pacific Command Division Chief, Joint Operations Division, Joint Staff J-3, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
2. July 2017–June 2019, Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as a colonel
3. July 2021–present, Deputy Director of Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,800
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal with “V” device and oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major July 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2008
Colonel Oct. 1, 2013
Brigadier General July 31, 2019
(Current as of September 2021)