Mr. Craig A. Smith, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Acting General Counsel of the Air Force. In this role, he also serves as Air Force’s Chief Ethics Official and Chief Legal Officer, providing oversight, guidance and direction for legal advice provided by more than 2,600 Air Force military and civilian lawyers worldwide.
Mr. Smith spent nearly 30 years as an active-duty Air Force judge advocate. He last served as the senior legal counsel for Air Force Space Command. He also served as senior legal counsel at the wing and numbered air force levels of command, as chief of the Air Force Military Justice Division, and as an appellate military judge on the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals. Mr. Smith retired from active duty as a colonel in 2012. Prior to his current position, Mr. Smith was the Deputy General Counsel for Intelligence, International and Military Affairs, Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia.
Mr. Smith is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, and the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.
1977 Bachelor of Arts, History, University of New Hampshire, Durham
1982 Juris Doctor, University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law, Concord
1993 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. January 1983–September 1983, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 836th Combat Support Group, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. September 1983–May 1985, Area Defense Counsel, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
3. May 1985–June 1987, Chief of Military Justice, Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, Robins AFB, Ga.
4. June 1987–July 1990, Chief, Civil Law and Acquisition Law, Headquarters 16th Air Force, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
5 July 1990–August 1992, Staff Attorney, Military Justice Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
6. August 1992–July 1993, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 1993–July 1995, Staff Judge Advocate, 722nd Air Refueling Wing, March AFB, Calif.
8. July 1995–July 1998, Staff Judge Advocate, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
9. July 1998–July 2000, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Ninth Air Force and United States Central Command Air Forces, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. July 2000–July 2004, Chief, Military Justice Division, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
11. August 2004–July 2006, Appellate Military Judge, Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2006–July 2008, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. July 2008–July 2009, Executive to The Judge Advocate General, Headquarters United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. July 2009–July 2012, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. April 2013–August 2019, Deputy General Counsel for Intelligence, International & Military Affairs, Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. August 2019–January 2021, Principal Deputy General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. January 2021–present, Acting General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
2000 Air Combat Command Outstanding Senior Attorney
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Military Officers Association of America
(Current as of February 2021)